• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Egress from basement- Sidewalk door?

AV Arch

I need to provide a second exit from an overlarge basement storage area in a building addition. My only viable location would be installing a sidewalk door. I designed a project years ago where it was explicitly stated in the code that one basement exit could be via such a door., but I can't find this passage in a recent review of the IBC. Is this still permitted under 2018 IBC? (working with NJ edition).

And then there is this.........

3202.2 Encroachments above grade and below 8 feet in
height. Encroachments into the public right-of-way above
grade and below 8 feet (2438 mm) in height shall be prohibited
except as provided for in Sections 3202.2.1 through
3202.2.3. Doors and windows shall not open or project into
the public right-of-way.

It’s like a roof access door ... climb the ladder, grab the red handle, the door pops open. But does a ladder qualify as egress?
Only for a few rare places iirc. Catwalks and similar elevated platforms for entertainment technology is the one I know well. I think elevator pits. Perhaps equipment platforms generally. Roofs that are not habitable obviously.

What happens if somebody sets up a food cart on the sidewalk door?

What is your basement occupant load? Can you fence off the area over the door so nobody can put stuff on it? Is it on your property or in the public right-of-way? You probably will have to request a code modification to do this.

If the space is for INCIDENTAL or ACCESOSRY STORAGE with NO real people load / Activity WHY is a Second Means of EGRSS Required? The Mezzanine sort of use comes to mind as a parallel

The only time I see that kind of Traditional, sidewalk Door being used is for Deliveries TO the Storage Space and then items being moved to Prep or Sales Area Inside the the Ground Floorspace

What happens if somebody sets up a food cart on the sidewalk door?

What is your basement occupant load? Can you fence off the area over the door so nobody can put stuff on it? Is it on your property or in the public right-of-way? You probably will have to request a code modification to do this.
This is an important point. Even if it is technically allowed via IBC (im not sure it is), your local code inspector may not accept it because of this. Someone in the basement who needs to get out in an emergency would have no way of knowing the door is blocked by an obstruction above. I have a hard time believing this would be acceptable.
I would also piggy-back on the questions of your occupancy count. If the basement if truly for storage purposes, you'd need quite a large basement to trigger two exits.

If the basement if truly for storage purposes, you'd need quite a large basement to trigger two exits.
Not really.... if the basement is non-sprinkled, then the maximum CPET is only 75-ft per IBC Table 1006.3.3(2). Take into consideration that it is most likely an exit access stairway serving the basement, and you can probably cut that CPET of 75-ft in half due to the CPET including the path of travel along the stair and to the exit/point of two paths of travel. The basement would need to be pretty small and wide open to stay under the 75-ft of CPET.

It’s like a roof access door ... climb the ladder, grab the red handle, the door pops open. But does a ladder qualify as egress?
IBC 1011.16 Ladders

Permanent ladders shall not serve as a part of the means of egress from occupied spaces within a building. Permanent ladders shall be constructed in accordance with Section 306.5 of the International Mechanical Code. Permanent ladders shall be permitted to provide access to the following areas:
  1. Spaces frequented only by personnel for maintenance, repair or monitoring of equipment.
  2. Nonoccupiable spaces accessed only by catwalks, crawl spaces, freight elevators or very narrow passageways.
  3. Raised areas used primarily for purposes of security, life safety or fire safety including, but not limited to, observation galleries, prison guard towers, fire towers or lifeguard stands.
  4. Elevated levels in Group U not open to the general public.
  5. Nonoccupied roofs that are not required to have stairway access in accordance with Section 1011.12.1.
  6. Where permitted to access equipment and appliances in accordance with Section 306.5 of the International Mechanical Code.

Thanks for all the feedback. Occupant load is 10. Proposed door would sit in the landscaping around the building, not in a public way. Can't swear nobody would put something on the door, but it's geographically unlikely to happen by accident. Basement will be sprinkled, but the travel from the exit to the bottom of stair is nearly 35 feet, with 80 plus travel inside the basement. Stair itself is not in a rated enclosure, so I need to count the whole trip. If I'm pressed, I can go with a bilco-like stair, but I'm trying to minimize the run.