• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Egress from Fenced in Carport

MA_Architect

I'm back with a follow up question to my S-1 repair garage. In the back, the building has a carport (roof, but open on three sides, but chain link on all three open sides). This carport is physically connected to the rear of the building. The only way out, other than padlocked swing gates for cars, is in through the building (and door currently swings INTO the carport. Carport is 1,700 s.f., (1700/300 = 6 people). I am assuming all I need to do is provide one standard "man door" with exit only latch and lever, that leads to the public street, to satisfy the code. My thinking is that this carport is essentially a room in the building, and assuming that no area in my carport is more than 100' from the only egress door, then I only need 1 "man door".

Seems like through the building door should meet code

Mainly used for employees anyway

If a required egress door dumpd into the fenced in area, egress then nneds to continue to a public way in a compliant manner....(I.E. doors(gates) and hardware) Door swing should not be an issue if the exit serves less than 50 people....

cda said:
Seems like through the building door should meet codeMainly used for employees anyway
Yes, employees only, not a public building. I was just concerned about "reentering a burning building". However, assuming that my most remote point in a carport is less than 100' to a building egress door, then it makes sense as to why it would work.

steveray said:
If a required egress door dumpd into the fenced in area, egress then nneds to continue to a public way in a compliant manner....(I.E. doors(gates) and hardware) Door swing should not be an issue if the exit serves less than 50 people....
The entire building and carport capacity is 39 (including the 6 in the carport). This door is not a required egress fort the building, more of a convenience door for the carport, so the employees do not need to undo the pad locked gates every time they need to gain access.

If exit from carport is through the building the door into the building cannot have a lock on it.

Frank said:
If exit from carport is through the building the door into the building cannot have a lock on it.
It is access from the carport to the garage for mainly employees

So if they walk from the garage to the carport more than likely the door would be unlocked , so they could get back in?

cda said:
It is access from the carport to the garage for mainly employeesSo if they walk from the garage to the carport more than likely the door would be unlocked , so they could get back in?
Not neccessarily in that many locksets do not unlock from the outside when you leave from the inside.

Frank said:
Not neccessarily in that many locksets do not unlock from the outside when you leave from the inside.
That's a good point, and something I overlooked, I am thinking they want this door locked. I am now in the process of trying to convince the principal to move it away from the building, as I think having the door from the building into the enclosure has too much grey area and too open for interpretation by the AHJ.

I think it would fly or go back to the original design of a means to get out of the enclosure with out going back into the building.