• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Egress from outdoor tire storage area

Codegeek

I have a situation that involves an outdoor storage area for rubber tires. While I can find language in the IFC and in NFPA 230 dealing with providing fire department access to the tire storage area, I cannot find anything that deals with how to apply the means of egress to the storage area. Technically it is not part of the building as it does not meet the definition of gross or net floor area. It is intended for outdoor storage only.

My question has to do with how does someone who has to access this area exit from it in an emergency? I say they can exit back into the building, which is serving as S-1 use group as a motor vehicle repair garage (no welding). However, if they are trying to restrict access from the storage area back into the garage, and a fire breaks out in the tire storage area, now we have an employee trapped with no means of exiting, as they will have a fence confining the outdoor tire storage area. NFPA 230 and the IFC both require the fence, but say that the fence has to be locked when the storage area is not staffed. Does this mean that while the area is staffed, the fence has to be open?

Any thoughts?