• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Egress from school courtyard

I dont have any pics with me but wanted to get your opinion please on this situation.

There are two elements to this.

2009 I believe is the current code.

1. Elementary school has an open air courtyard in the middle of the school that probably measures 80' square. On two opposing sides of the courtyard there is a single door leading to a hallway back into the school with the keyed lock being on the school side of the door so that people cant get stuck in the courtyard.

The school now wants to reverse the locksets so the keyed side faces the courtyard.

I believe this should not be allowed since the courtyard has no other means of egress and therefore the courtyard would be considered just as any enclosed area of the school and these doors would be required for egress from the courtyard.

2. The two hallways leading from the courtyard back into the school are 24' long by 6' wide with a 3' door at each end.

The school now wants to use these two hallways as " Classrooms" due to a shortage of space. My thought is yes they could, but only if everything is kept clear of the egress path between the doors on each end which means they would end up with a 24' long by 3' wide classroom...

Thanks

My thought is no on hallway used as classroom

What occupant load would you give that area ???

I agree it should not be used as a classroom and thats the battle we're waging with the administrators. They just wanted to reverse the locks and add desks for the students. As far as occupancy load there is none posted, but basic calc for the hallway would be about 3.6 students... But they are small students so maybe four.....

So they want to make a class for maybe 4 people , have to include the teacher???

I dont think they realize they have to exclude the egress zone from the useable classroom area. It never was meant to be anything other than a hall way and I think they have just started using it over time.

Thanks!

Looks like the lock could conflict with #2....

1014.2 Egress through intervening spaces. Egress through intervening spaces shall comply with this section.

1. Egress from a room or space shall not pass through adjoining or intervening rooms or areas, except where such adjoining rooms or areas and the area served are accessory to one or the other, are not a Group H occupancy and provide a discernible path of egress travel to an exit.

Exception: Means of egress are not prohibited through adjoining or intervening rooms or spaces in a Group H, S or F occupancy when the adjoining or intervening rooms or spaces are the same or a lesser hazard occupancy group.

2. An exit access shall not pass through a room that can be locked to prevent egress.

3. Means of egress from dwelling units or sleeping areas shall not lead through other sleeping areas, toilet rooms or bathrooms.

4. Egress shall not pass through kitchens, storage rooms, closets or spaces used for similar purposes.

Exceptions:

1. Means of egress are not prohibited through a kitchen area serving adjoining rooms constituting part of the same dwelling unit or sleeping unit.

2. Means of egress are not prohibited through stockrooms in Group M occupancies when all of the following are met:

2.1. The stock is of the same hazard classification as that found in the main retail area;

2.2. Not more than 50 percent of the exit access is through the stockroom;

2.3. The stockroom is not subject to locking from the egress side; and2.4. There is a demarcated, minimum 44-inch-wide (1118 mm) aisle defined by full- or partial-height fixed walls or similar construction that will maintain the required width and lead directly from the retail area to the exit without obstructions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Safecrackin Sam said:
I dont have any pics with me but wanted to get your opinion please on this situation. There are two elements to this.

2009 I believe is the current code.

2. The two hallways leading from the courtyard back into the school are 24' long by 6' wide with a 3' door at each end.

The school now wants to use these two hallways as " Classrooms" due to a shortage of space. My thought is yes they could, but only if everything is kept clear of the egress path between the doors on each end which means they would end up with a 24' long by 3' wide classroom...

Thanks
1018.2 Corridor width.

The minimum corridor width shall be as determined in Section 1005.1, but not less than 44 inches (1118 mm).

Exceptions:

1. Twenty-four inches (610 mm)—For access to and utilization of electrical, mechanical or plumbing systems or equipment.

2. Thirty-six inches (914 mm)—With a required occupant capacity of less than 50.

3. Thirty-six inches (914 mm)—Within a dwelling unit.

4. Seventy-two inches (1829 mm)—In Group E with a corridor having a required capacity of 100 or more.

Access corridors to exits in schools are 6' or greater so we do not allow students to be housed in the exit access corridor besides the obstructions to exit this creates. ICC Code section cited by MT and in 101 land we use [15.2.3.2].