• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Egress from sleeping rooms on 3rd floor in R-3 existing structure

dillehayarch

I have an existing 2 story w/ attic wood framed house that currently has 6 sleeping rooms. The owner wants to convert the building into 2 dwelling units with 3 sleeping rooms each. Dwelling unit 1 is on the first floor. Dwelling unit 2 would take up the 2nd floor and attic, with the sleeping rooms in the attic.

There is one stair for the upstairs dwelling unit.

My question:
Are Egress compliant windows sufficient for the sleeping rooms on the third floor, or will I require an additional means of egress for the rooms (i.e. exterior stair)

The building is not sprinklered.

Thank you for your assistance in reviewing this.

Respectfully,
Sam

Are Egress compliant windows sufficient for the sleeping rooms on the third floor,
Yes. The attic space is not a "story" If you meet R325.6. # 1 thru 4.
Will the existing ceiling joist support the 30 PSF required for a sleeping area?

R304 and R305

R325.6 Habitable attic.
A habitable attic shall not be considered a story where complying with all of the following requirements:

1. The occupiable floor area is not less than 70 square feet (17 m2), in accordance with Section R304.

2. The occupiable floor area has a ceiling height in accordance with Section R305.

3. The occupiable space is enclosed by the roof assembly above, knee walls (if applicable) on the sides and the floor-ceiling assembly below.

4. The floor of the occupiable space shall not extend beyond the exterior walls of the floor below.

Table 602.3(5)
c. A habitable attic assembly supported by 2 × 4 studs is limited to a roof span of 32 feet. Where the roof span exceeds 32 feet, the wall studs shall be increased to 2 × 6 or the studs shall be designed in accordance with accepted engineering practice.