• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Egress path past emergency generator

manifold

I am adding a new exterior exit door to an existing building. The new walk connecting the door to the public way passes by a small 35KW/45KVA emergency generator (existing), plumbed to the building natural gas. Due to site constraints, the walk will be adjacent to the existing generator pad, with a just a few inches between the generator itself and the egress path. Are there any code concerns with this? In the past I have had to provide separation between an exit and a large generator with a diesel belly tank. Wondering if there are similar issues in this condition; my initial research has not turned up anything but I would love to hear the forum's thoughts.

2018 I-codes; St. Louis, MO; Seismic Category D; F-1 occ.; approximately 30 occupants allocated to this exit, 150 building total.

From a fire protection standpoint, it shouldn't be any different than exiting past a parked vehicle.
The mechanical code 501.3.1 will want the generator exhaust to stay 10' away from the new door opening, or other building openings.

I'm not aware of anything in the IBC that would prohibit that arrangement as long as the egress path is maintained unobstructed and clear...