• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Egress Through a Space

Fulli06

I have a preliminary plan that an owner wants to change, removing a corridor and exit which would put the egress path through a space (assembly) to an adjacent exit. I'm not sure this will work. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Have a look at the provided pic thanks
y4mQzfxVlwpvVFCi7a5rt20qhIm15NSs-Okg94QUL5-W5ZJnIZCRP9ScYjBts9RllR60B87S2FZOknz-MDKGjb_-Ycxx5hqweICef1DjF2T1ofoxTyvJ1oJrYuxI8flnDk2QlZ78Dj-EJDHnC_hi7rkC9b4kVRhkzTch53sO6ZiKArsfIlIsKIIgYXgE-wxp6flpOdsduW6dEWNBfSi1sk-jg

If approved does it meet all the other exiting requirements?

Is this the entire space??

The only somewhat problem is assuring clear access thru the room

This is an addition to a church. It abuts to a low traffic rear hallway. I guess my question is- is it sufficient that to exit from the addition, you have to pass through an unconcentrated assembly area on either side and exit to the exterior through the rear hallways exits?

You would need to look at exit distances, occupant loads from current and future through that door, door width, as CDA stated above can this door be locked, etc? To many unknowns to provide a blanket answer.

This is an addition to a church. It abuts to a low traffic rear hallway. I guess my question is- is it sufficient that to exit from the addition, you have to pass through an unconcentrated assembly area on either side and exit to the exterior through the rear hallways exits?

So there is more to the exiting than shown?

If you meet all of 1016 and travel distance
You are good to go.

It use to be only one room was allowed, but no longer

https://up.codes/s/egress-through-intervening-spaces

If unobstructed, why not?

1017.3 Measurement
Exit access travel distance shall be measured from the most remote point within a story along the natural and unobstructed path of horizontal and vertical egress travel to the entrance to an exit.
Exception: In open parking garages, exit access travel distance is permitted to be measured to the closest riser of an exit access stairway or the closest slope of an exit access ramp.
Measure along the natural and unobstructed path.... unless obstructed, do you walk at perfect right angles? I'd say that the "natural" path is straight line from A to B.

Mark ... why can’t you cut the diagonal? My architects do that all the time on my drawings.

pot.png
If unobstructed, why not?

1017.3 Measurement
Exit access travel distance shall be measured from the most remote point within a story along the natural and unobstructed path of horizontal and vertical egress travel to the entrance to an exit.
Exception: In open parking garages, exit access travel distance is permitted to be measured to the closest riser of an exit access stairway or the closest slope of an exit access ramp.
Measure along the natural and unobstructed path.... unless obstructed, do you walk at perfect right angles? I'd say that the "natural" path is straight line from A to B.

What I was told in a ICC class/seminar, if the Obstructions are not shown, you need to assume worst case. Because that is what they are going to do.
may not be this tenant but the next guy will do it and someone will not get out.

Just Like common path above.

Last edited:
We always delineate the path with worst case 90 degree travel from the most remote spot. Most plan reviewers would never allow that diagonal. They all understand that obstructions will be in place.

If the furniture is fixed I would allow it and possibly if the furniture plan was posted in the room and we had some comfort on maintenance.....That being said I have everyone do it at right angles....