• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

egress window at bedroom?

BSSTG

Gold Member
Greetings all,

I received the following note from a local engineer/inspector asking for some guidance. I really don't believe it would be addressed in any code.

"I called out on an inspection that a guy's fire egress window was blocked by a yard fence post and hence they could not get out of the house (about 6" out from the window). The owner's question is "how far from the window should the post be?" I said that is not mentioned in the code. Any comments or helpful wisdom."

Thoughts?

thanks

BS

Just the post? Is there a fence?

I agree the code is silent. However 36" is required for a window well

36" is needed for clearance under a deck.

You could say it is similar to R310.4 and ask the it be readily removable

yep not mentioned and there have been many questions about windows opening to different obstructions.

can they just move the post left or right or whatever so it does not line up with the window???

don't you love zero lot lines

+ +

BSSTG,

ICE has provide the correct [ code ] interpretation.....Refer to

Table R302.1, `06 IBC......No openings on the zero lot lines.

Also, see Section R310.1, " ...shall open directly into a public

street, public alley, yard or court".

Sounds like the EE&RO has not been provided on this one

particular window.

If the fence post is on the property owners own property,

then the EE&RO provisions have not been met.

$ $

I would use the 36 inches that mt noted for the window well. This would also be the case for a retaining wall that is too close to an egress window, and should be the same for other obstructions such as fences, if we are trying to meet the intent of the code. This is supposedly not only just for people to get out, but also for fire personnel to get in.

BSSTG said:
Greetings all,I received the following note from a local engineer/inspector asking for some guidance. I really don't believe it would be addressed in any code.

"I called out on an inspection that a guy's fire egress window was blocked by a yard fence post and hence they could not get out of the house (about 6" out from the window). The owner's question is "how far from the window should the post be?" I said that is not mentioned in the code. Any comments or helpful wisdom."

Thoughts?

thanks

BS
Not sure a zero lot line was part of the OP, or how that jump was made, but if it is, they probably have bigger issues as ICE and north star pointed out.

cda said:
...don't you love zero lot lines

Greetings all,

I have not talked with this fellow. I expect to this pm. I can say it's not a zero lot line house because he would have called it out. He is a very proficient inspector.

thanks

BSSTG

If the code is silent, there is no requirement.

You don't have to like that fact.

But you are expected to conduct yourself in accordance with it.

If the code is silent, and I am sure many don't like this fact either, there is also Section 104.1 in the 2006 IRC to be considered:

2006 IRC, Section 104.1 General. The building official shall have the authority to render interpretations of this code and to adopt policies and procedures in order to clarify the application of its provisions. Such interpretations, policies and procedures shall be in conformance with the intent and purpose of this code. Such policies and procedures shall not have the effect of waiving requirements specifically provided for in this code.

Making the interpretation that a fence post shouldn't be directly in front of window, that a similar clear width at the exterior side of the egress window as required for a window well, should be expected as conduct in accordance with Section 104.1.

I would probably go with the 3' people.....post, shrubbery, what ever...at least when I inspect, if it grows in and no one maintains...then that is their problem.....

Papio Bldg Dept said:
If the code is silent, and I am sure many don't like this fact either, there is also Section 104.1 in the 2006 IRC to be considered: 2006 IRC, Section 104.1 General. The building official shall have the authority to render interpretations of this code and to adopt policies and procedures in order to clarify the application of its provisions. Such interpretations, policies and procedures shall be in conformance with the intent and purpose of this code. Such policies and procedures shall not have the effect of waiving requirements specifically provided for in this code.

Making the interpretation that a fence post shouldn't be directly in front of window, that a similar clear width at the exterior side of the egress window as required for a window well, should be expected as conduct in accordance with Section 104.1.
Before you can do any of that, you must have a code to work with.

agree various versions of this question have come up and if it ain't there you cannot enforce it.

Like the question of hurricanne glass in the bedroom window, code is silent, does not say the window ahs to be breakable

I would think that section R310.1 Emergency escape and rescue required.

The last part of the section...

Emergency escape and rescue openings shall open directly into a public way, or to a yard or court that opens to a public way.

If the emergency escape and rescue openings do not provide a clear path to a yard court or public way then I would say there is a violation of the code.

you are only required to have one EE&RO in each bedroom. even if all windows meet the size requirements for an EE&RO only one has to be the EE&RO. if there is a fence post or shrubbery in front of one then the other would still qualify wouldn't it?

I agree with Mule, the EE&RO must have a clear path to a yard, court or public way.

cda said:
agree various versions of this question have come up and if it ain't there you cannot enforce it.
respectfully, and without going where previous and various versions of this question have taken us, what then in your opinion is the purpose of R104.1?

You are correct Sir....

GBrackins said:
you are only required to have one EE&RO in each bedroom. even if all windows meet the size requirements for an EE&RO only one has to be the EE&RO. if there is a fence post or shrubbery in front of one then the other would still qualify wouldn't it?I agree with Mule, the EE&RO must have a clear path to a yard, court or public way.

Papio Bldg Dept said:
respectfully, and without going where previous and various versions of this question have taken us, what then in your opinion is the purpose of R104.1?
Hi Papio,

The purpose is to:

Interpret the code

Adopt policies and procedures in order to clarify the application of its provisions.

It is not to:

Fill in requirements where the code is silent.

Bill

KZQuixote said:
Hi Papio,The purpose is to:

Interpret the code

Adopt policies and procedures in order to clarify the application of its provisions.

It is not to:

Fill in requirements where the code is silent.

Bill
So how would you enforce it if the post was in the 36 inch minimum horizontal projection and width of a window well, but the window could still be fully opened? My frustration is that it appears 310.2 is so poorly written, that if I take it at its literal application (an "if it doesn't say it then it is silent" approach), then anything (posts, shrubs, etc), with exception for ladders and steps only (which are permitted to encroach a maximum of 6 inches), may encroach into that minimum horizontal area.

R310.2 Window Wells. The minimum horizontal area of the window well shall be 9 square feet, with a minimum horizontal projection and width of 36 inches. The are of the window well shall allow the emergency escape and rescue opening to be fully opened.

Exception: The ladder or steps required by Section R310.2.1 shall be permitted to encroach a maximum of 6 inches into the required dimensions of the window well.

I give up.

+ +

" ...respectfully, and without going where previous and various versions of this question have taken us, what thenin your opinion is the purpose of R104.1?"
It's pretty clear that Section R104.1 gives the BO authority to give his/her "opinion"

based upon the conditions being reviewed.......If the BO thinks / believes that [ in this

case, "the post" ] is blocking THE [ only ] designated EE&RO, then the BO has the

legal authority to require the removal of the post......."If" this is not the only EE&RO

out of the sleeping room, then the post MAY not be an issue.

+ +