• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

egress window code

darcar

Silver Member
Is anyone aware of when egress windows first became a requirement?

What year, etc?

Thanks

If memory serves correctly, the 1976 UBC was the first time that minimum size was addressed. Could be wrong......I'm at home, so throwing a WAG out there, based on memory.

First, there is no such thing as an egress window.

The idea behind emergency escape and rescue openings goes way back to the early days of the NFPA life safety code.

The principal is that sleeping spaces should have two means of escape in the event of a fire and means of escape is a better concept to use in dwellings since doorways do not meet ordinary egress requirements.

Before 10/16/1964 Various UBC requirements

1964-UBC

Maximum Sill Height 48 in

Minimum Net Opening 5 sq. ft

Width Height 24 in x 24 in

I have a 1927 UBC, and egress windows were not required. The next oldest is 1976, and egress windows were required, 5.7 sq ft, height 24", width 20", this section was shown as a change, but I have no idea what requirements were in '73.

And yes, they were called egress windows.

I stand corrected....I was pounding nails back then, just seemed like all the sudden it was a big deal, size wise. Maybe the shift from 5 s.f., to 5.7.........

As an aside: 1973 was the year smoke detectors were introduced into the codes. In retrospect, not that long ago. Escape and rescue windows were ahead of the smoke detectors. Most interesting to see how things make their way into the codes, and then the changes that happen along the way.

The emergency escape and rescue window came in some time after designers popularized the high ribbon row windows in house types similar to The "DECK HOUSE" when first introducced the window areas were all elevated an attempt to stylize - the result SMOKE STAYS HIGH and if you woke up before choking you would crawl at floor line and not reach a window sill.

and also the rescue aspect of the window was not appropriate even for the tallest fire fighters

tha example of the designs is the top B&W photo here http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/12/acorn-houses-1947-2008.php

pretty popular in new england at the time I was a young designer, everyone would bring me the design book and say I want one like this?

Those ribbon windows make for great ventilation when you are the vent man at a house fire; escape...not so much. I have those in my 1950's vintage tract shack.

I can stand on my bed to get out of that window, or use the double-hung...which I enlarged when I moved in (you know, common sense...before I knew code).

mark handler said:
Before 10/16/1964 Various UBC requirements1964-UBC

Maximum Sill Height 48 in

Minimum Net Opening 5 sq. ft

Width Height 24 in x 24 in
It looks like 1964 is the earliest anyone could find "egress" in the code eh?... thanks

The real question is when did any particular jurisdiction actually enforce any codes?

It doesn't matter how long egress windows have been in codes if the particular jurisdiction only began enforcing codes 5 years ago, then that is how long they've been 'required'.

Historically, 'emergency egress windows', 'egress windows' and 'emergenct escape windows' all pre-date 'emergency escape and rescue openings'. At the onset of these requirements there was little (if any) internal rescue as a matter of protocol - no SCBA made it a dicey proposition at best. With the advent of SCBA and all the other neat gadgets developed over the last quarter century, the philosophy has been shifting from 'emergency egress' to 'emergency escape and rescue', hence the nomenclature and the increased sizes. NYS's first mandatory code required 4 sf with 18" minimum in the least dimnension for quite some time. A step down from the 5 sf in its' voluntary predecessor or the national models at the time (something about energy conservation in the late 70's?), and designed almost exclusively for getting out, not in.

BOCA/1970

603.4 Single-Exit Construction: Every sleeping room, in buildings permitted by sections 611.1 and 611.3 to have only one (1) exitway, unless it has two (2) doors providing separate ways of escape, or has a door leading directly to the outside of the building, shall have at least one (1) outside window which can be opened from the inside without the use of tools and of such design that it may serve as an emergency exit if the normal avenues of escape are blocked. The sill of such windows shall not be more than three and one-half (3½) feet above the floor.

ONE AND TWO FAMILY DWELLING CODE 1971

Exits

Sec. R-211. Not less than one exit conforming to this Chapter shall be provided from each dwelling unit.

Sleeping rooms shall have at least one openable window or exterior door to permit emergency exit or rescue. Where windows are provided they shall have a sill height of not more than 48 inches above the floor and shall provide not less than 5 square feet of openable area with no dimension less than 22 inches.

My grandads Jurassic code book section 1-1 states: If a brontossurus appears at the front egress window, exiting should be to the back of the cave for all habitants of the cave.

This code was apealed in the Mesozoic code book that followed!

Hope this helps!

pc1

Last edited by a moderator:
Hamurabi wrote the first on record as far back as I could find. " if a man build a house for some one and it falls down, the man that built that house shall be stoned to death". there's more to it than that, but i don't have the inclination