• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

egress window discharge

barlovian

Bronze Member
I remember a discussion of this new requirement when it was adopted but it isn't coming up in my search.

R301.1 ".... Emergency escape and rescue openings shall open directly into a public way, or to a yard or court that opens to a public way."

I still see new townhouses being built that are laid out on narrow lots with the front door opening to the main street and a separate garage with access from an alley that runs behind the townhouses. Both the townhouse and the detached garage are built right up to the property lines on both sides. With this layout, the emergency egress path from the rear bedroom windows is into the back yard, through the garage, and to the alley. Or, into the yard, back into the house and to the street in front of the townhouse. There is no direct access to the street or to the alley or to any public way.

Firefighter access to the rear of the townhouse would be through (or over) the garage or through the neighbor’s garage and over a demising fence.

I don't see how this could comply with the emergency egress requirements. Am I missing something? Have there been discussions to amend this at the ICC hearings?

See the definition of a "court," which is pretty much what you're describing if it is bounded on all four sides. If they can get to the public way from the court, be it through the garage, then it is okay. The question is, is the door or gate through the garage locked from the yard (i.e. court) side?

barlovian said:
R301.1 Emergency escape and rescue openings shall open directly into...a yard ;

the emergency egress path from the rear bedroom windows is into the back yard
What is the issue?

brudgers: Although called a backyard, if it is enclosed on all four sides (i.e. one side house, one side garage, and two sides fence), then it does not conform to the definition of a "yard" per the code because it will be considered a "court."

Court: "A space, open and unobstructed to the sky, located at or above grade level on a lot and bounded on three or more sides by walls or a building."

Yard: "An open space, other than a court, unobstructed from the ground to the sky, except where specifically provided by this code, on the lot on which a building is situated."

Brudgers, there are two requirements in the paragraph. In this case, the required egress to a yard or court is provided. But, the rest of the requirement is not met because the yard/court does not open to a public way.

To place a ladder outside the window, a firefighter would carry the ladder through or over a garage or through a townhouse. Doesn't sound very practical.

I remember this discussion from a few years ago. I guess it was on the other board.