• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Electric Meter Base to Gas Meter and Equipment Minimum Distances

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Nothing causes more problems than signing off on an NEC compliant installation and having the POCO refuse to hook up because the installation does not meet their minimum standards. Here is an example of a POCO requirement for minimum distance between gas and metering equipment.

Screen Shot 2023-02-28 at 19.08.21.png

Does this become your problem or the contractors problem?

You did your job approving compliance with the NEC. Shouldn't it be on the contractor to know local utility requirements?

Does this become your problem or the contractors problem?

You did your job approving compliance with the NEC. Shouldn't it be on the contractor to know local utility requirements?
In PA with PPL it is the inspector's problem because they are expected to help enforce PPL's REMSI standard in order to process cut-in cards. In Florida, it is not the inspector's problem with FPL.

3ft from the gas regulator to openings and the electric meter is our policy, nothing chiseled in stone, yet.

> > > >

Was there a permit required for this work ?…….If
so, was there any dimensional information
provided ?

< < < <

The way I see it, its the designers fault for not putting the information on the plans for the electrical, if no designer, then the contractor not doing their part, the inspector in PA, can't be required to enforce a utilities company policy that is over and above the state mandates with the adopted code, ie LAW!

If the designer did not put the specifics on the drawings, then one must ask is it the plan reviewers job to request to see a typical on the drawings?

And if so, then if know by the reviewer to not comply with PP&L, note a question maybe that though it is compliant with the adopted and enforced code, the utility might have stricter requirements.

If PP&L or the local utility wants the stricter requirements, then they should lobby L&I to modify the minimum requirements in the adopted code, IMO, it is not like they don't have a seat at the table.......

Just my 2 cents on a Thursday morning....cheers'

The way I see it, its the designers fault for not putting the information on the plans for the electrical, if no designer, then the contractor not doing their part, the inspector in PA, can't be required to enforce a utilities company policy that is over and above the state mandates with the adopted code, ie LAW!

If the designer did not put the specifics on the drawings, then one must ask is it the plan reviewers job to request to see a typical on the drawings?

And if so, then if know by the reviewer to not comply with PP&L, note a question maybe that though it is compliant with the adopted and enforced code, the utility might have stricter requirements.

If PP&L or the local utility wants the stricter requirements, then they should lobby L&I to modify the minimum requirements in the adopted code, IMO, it is not like they don't have a seat at the table.......

Just my 2 cents on a Thursday morning....cheers'
What drawings?
What happens when there is a permit applied for to replace the service mast and meter base on an existing building and do it in the exact same location?

Gas utility required meters to be 10" away where I already approved services near Scranton once. They had to move something so the gas meters was the easiest. In PA inspectors are not allowed to inspect anything with LP gas.

What drawings?
What happens when there is a permit applied for to replace the service mast and meter base on an existing building and do it in the exact same location?
Exactly my point, you can only inspect what the code allows you to.

If your limit ends, and the utility requires over and above that limit, that is between the utility and the project location, nothing to do with the inspector or building department.

Thus designer, and in many cases when one is not required, the person doing the project.

Gas utility required meters to be 10" away where I already approved services near Scranton once. They had to move something so the gas meters was the easiest. In PA inspectors are not allowed to inspect anything with LP gas.
You are wrong. I posted this before. You are wrong. This is directly from the PA L&I UCC Website:

1677781151997.png

Ok so we need to inspect only appliances' and only tubing when only inside structures, not outside. no other kind of LP piping?
Inside piping/tubing, furnaces, boilers, LPG water heaters, etc. Nothing really different than natural gas. The natural gas meter is outside; the LPG tank is outside. Inspectors were always under the impression that they were not to inspect anything that was even connected to LPG, including the piping and appliances. That was never the case.

What drawings?
Nothing if it's a like for like replacement

Nothing if it's a like for like replacement
And when we do that, the POCO refuses to hook it up so we have to make them move it. If they want electricity, that is. Why semantics when we know the end game? Just notify them of the requirement and inspect to that requirement so everyone gets what they need.

You are wrong. I posted this before. You are wrong. This is directly from the PA L&I UCC Website:

View attachment 10245

This was missed by so many inspectors throughout PA including myself. I recall being taught incorrectly as well and seeing a few muni inspection forms notating propane excluded from inspection. Then it was said so many times in the field the bldrs regurgitated same and took offense to any person who dared to inspect propane. This is real world example of an inaccurate interpretation spreading throughout an entire state.

A small handful of bldrs preferred having the piping and test reviewed and noted.

I learned quickly I’m not fighting the fight I just say amendment changed and forward the text.