• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Electric meter room doors

chris kennedy

Sawhorse
In a multi family dwelling (3+ units) are there any requirements for size, type, fire rating, louvers ect for meter room doors that egress to the exterior?

Thanks

# ~ #

Is this a Commercial project, or Residential project ?

As always, ...please state which code & edition are applicable.

Thanks ! :cool:

# ~ #

Should not be,

Is the existing door rated??

Plus seems like would still be able to meet code it was built under

The distance to the property line requiring opening protection might be a factor

Less than 5 ft non protected opening, non-sprinkled building would not be allowed

3' to 5' a rated door would be required.or a sprinkler system in the building

IBC Table 705.8

A sign and no lock.

I lived in a condo for a few years. My neighbor was a spoiled rich girl that would come home smashed at 2:00 am. She would drag another hammered reprobate home and they would proceed to get loud. The stereo was blasting and so was the TV. All the lights are on and they are making more noise than a tornado of tin cans. This went down once a month. I asked her to be nice but that didn't work....so I would go to the electrical room and shut off her power. They would always be surprised and she would say, "This has happened before. I should call an electrician". And off to the sack they'd go.

The next morning I would turn her power on as soon as I woke up. At 4:30 am her stereo and TV would be blasting and all the lights were on. Other than being a drunken whore she was likable enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not believe there is a number specified in the code for smaller equipment, but you need to be able to get the equipment in, service it and have egress.

Large equipment. When working with equipment rated 1,200A or more, and wider than 6 ft, you must provide at least one entrance not less than 24 in. wide and 6 1/2 ft high at each end of the workspace [110.26©(2)]. do not believe there is a requirement for smaller equipment but you need to be able to get the equipment in and service it.