• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Electric Permit Fee Cost In New York City

LPFerrante

Hello,

I live in Manhattan and will be doing a renovation for my bathroom.

I'm in the process of reviewing contractor bids.

One contractor billed the following for an electric permit filing fee:
Electrical: $1,500

On the NYC DOB, I found that an electrical permit costs $650.00.

I have two questions:
1) Is he fee the contractor is billing in line with other contractors in New York City?
2) Is the electrical permit fee fairly accurate that I found on the DOB NYC website?

Thanks!

Hello,

I live in Manhattan and will be doing a renovation for my bathroom.

I'm in the process of reviewing contractor bids.

One contractor billed the following for an electric permit filing fee:
Electrical: $1,500

On the NYC DOB, I found that an electrical permit costs $650.00.

I have two questions:
1) Is he fee the contractor is billing in line with other contractors in New York City?
2) Is the electrical permit fee fairly accurate that I found on the DOB NYC website?

Thanks!
That is the labor they are charging you for the permit and may or may not include the actual permit itself so verify that. I see this very often in south Florida so that seems normal to me. When I lived in PA, that would not be normal. Neither NYC or FL are normal.

That is the labor they are charging you for the permit and may or may not include the actual permit itself so verify that. I see this very often in south Florida so that seems normal to me. When I lived in PA, that would not be normal. Neither NYC or FL are normal.
By "labor they are charging" do you mean calling on the phone to the DOB? If yes, that seems a bit excessive?

By "labor they are charging" do you mean calling on the phone to the DOB? If yes, that seems a bit excessive?
Filling out the paperwork, submitting it to the city, standing in line and waiting at the building department, responding to building department questions, picking up the permit, etc. etc. etc.

If you don't like it, hire someone else who charges less. It is free and open market.

Filling out the paperwork, submitting it to the city, standing in line and waiting at the building department, responding to building department questions, picking up the permit, etc. etc. etc.

If you don't like it, hire someone else who charges less. It is free and open market.
Yup, that's what I'm doing. I'll be meeting with four in the next two weeks, which will give me more of a lay of the renovation land.