• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Electrical and smoke detection question

Heaven

Silver Member
NEC 2008 ~ An existing building with mercantile first floor and two dwelling units on the second floor, panel is completely replaced. What is the requirement (if any) for requiring ARC fault and GFI to be added (assuming none existed originally)? If no requirement (and, I can't find one in the NEC), as an AHJ, do you think I can reasonably require such under chapter 34 or section 115 (or other)?

Also, what about smoke alarms/detection? Is there anywhere that has a similar standard to IRC Section 313 but under the IBC?

thank you,

Re: Electrical and smoke detection question

It will be an local AHj call. The approach that I used was - Panel replaced with same size sevice - i.e. 100 amp for 100 amp - No changes

Panel or service upgrade, existing circuits were left alone. New circuits had to meet code, and if possible, hardwire smokes installed. I believe as an alternate method, 10 year battery smoke smoke with wireless interconnectivity are an option

Re: Electrical and smoke detection question

Yes, the wireless would be fine although there is an old dropped ceiling and so hardwired wouldn't be difficult (you might wonder right about now how the one hour rating is achieved between the business and the residential (Not!)).

I find it strange there is no comparable section in the IBC to the IRC313.

Thanks