• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Electrical gadget ?????

Interesting that they claim UL listed on their Kickstarter page, but I couldn't find anything about it on their company website. :confused:

It's a good idea. Both my girls HAD to have night lights in their rooms, and I bet we've been through a dozen of them. These would've saved me some money. They'd make those late night trips to the RR easier on the eyeballs, too.

Reactions: cda
That video is over 4 years old and when I searched UL, there is no record of a UL listing for Snappower or Snap Power with a spacer. I don't see them advertising that it is UL listed, even 4 years later. They do have a lot more products out there including USB charging plate covers for receptacles. They also make some for light switches.

Albeit tiny in length, the device is an extension of the circuit. In as much as it is a device, the exception is moot. UL probably didn't think of that. :cool:

(B) Branch Circuit Extensions or Modifications - Dwelling Units. In any of the areas specified in 210.12(A), where branch-circuit wiring is modified, replaced, or extended, the branch circuit shall be protected by one of the following:

(1) A listed combination-type AFCI located at the origin of the branch circuit
(2) A listed outlet branch-circuit type AFCI located at the first receptacle outlet of the existing branch circuit

Exception: AFCI protection shall not be required where the extension of the existing conductors is not more than 1.8 m (6 ft) and does not include any additional outlets or devices.

Apologize for not knowing how to post links or copy and paste with the Android, but I found a list of manufacturers from Apple, Dell, Captive Air, GE have Labeled and Listed (NEC Article 100) NRTL products instead of the UL Certification. Apparently UL take longer so in being competitive NRTL is now becoming preferred to get the products on market.
According to OSHA "NRTL ETL Listed Mark is an accepted alternative to UL, and as such, inspectors and AHJ's are required by law to recognize and acknowledge and accept the mark as proof of product compliance. "

How about an NRTL?

INTERTEK #ETL#
SNAPRAYS, LLC-
Vineyard, Utah, USA
Trade Name(s)
SnapPower

Interesting that they claim UL listed on their Kickstarter page, but I couldn't find anything about it on their company website. :confused:

It's a good idea. Both my girls HAD to have night lights in their rooms, and I bet we've been through a dozen of them. These would've saved me some money. They'd make those late night trips to the RR easier on the eyeballs, too.

Thanks to cda and your comments, just ordered a couple of these for my 2 yr. old granddaughter upcoming holiday visit.

Apologize for not knowing how to post links or copy and paste with the Android, but I found a list of manufacturers from Apple, Dell, Captive Air, GE have Labeled and Listed (NEC Article 100) NRTL products instead of the UL Certification. Apparently UL take longer so in being competitive NRTL is now becoming preferred to get the products on market.
According to OSHA "NRTL ETL Listed Mark is an accepted alternative to UL, and as such, inspectors and AHJ's are required by law to recognize and acknowledge and accept the mark as proof of product compliance. "
Here is a list of OSHA approved NRTLs. There are limits as to what each can do.....found under recognized standards.

https://www.thebuildingcodeforum.com/forum/threads/list-of-nrtls.12429/

A listing is bought and paid for. 'nuf said

Last edited:
Reactions: cda
"I do not enforce OSHA"
Every time a Listed and Labeled product is installed and inspected you are, by default enforcing OSHA regulations.

"I wonder if insurance companies will pay for damage caused by "OSHA" Approved products?"
Every time a toaster burns down a house the insurance company tries to beat the claim.....er, I meant pays the claim.

Thanks to cda and your comments, just ordered a couple of these for my 2 yr. old granddaughter upcoming holiday visit.

Cool.

Keep an eye on them please and let us know how they work out for you. And most importantly - don't burn down your house testing them out!

Just got an email from Snap Power They claim they have the ETL Listing and the product has been tested by Intertek and found in compliance with accepted national standards.

I made the mistake of clicking on the link in the OP to see what CDA was talking about. Now Snap Power ads pop up every other page on this website and every time I go onto another website.

Marketing in the Al Gore age!!!

Luckily the politicians running for office have not figured it out.

I made the mistake of clicking on the link in the OP to see what CDA was talking about. Now Snap Power ads pop up every other page on this website and every time I go onto another website.
Clear your browser history

Clear browsing data:
Chrome

At the top of the "Clear browsing data" window, click Advanced.
Select the following: Browsing history. Download history. Cookies and other site data. Cached images and files. ...
Click CLEAR DATA.
Exit/quit all browser windows and re-open the browser.

Internet Explorer 8 (Win) - Clearing Cache and Cookies
Select Tools > Internet Options.
Click on the General tab and then the Delete... button.
Make sure to uncheck Preserve Favorites website data and check both Temporary Internet Files and Cookies then click Delete.

Safari 8.0 - 10.0 (Mac) - Clearing Cache and Cookies
Click Safari in the upper left hand side of your screen. In the menu that appears, click Preferences. (+)
In the window that appears, click the Privacy tab. Click the button Remove All Website Data.... (+)
Click Remove Now in the pop up window that appears. (+)

Firefox
From the History menu, select Clear Recent History. ...
From the Time range to clear: drop-down menu, select the desired range; to clear your entire cache, select Everything.
Next to "Details", click the down arrow to choose which elements of the history to clear; to clear your entire cache, select all items.