• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Electrical meter inspections, here on purpose

Yankee

Does anyone who is responsible for a variety of inspection types do electrical meter inspections, and if so, do you look at the internal wiring of the meter box or only the exterior items? If you are an electrical inspector (res or comm), do you look into the meter box? Thnks

Yes, yes and yes. Meter does not get set until we place our sticker on the enclosure. Anything after the service drop is under our approval.

No power until approved. Contact the POCO and collaborate what they will allow and require; the POCO south of us want their meter box installed with a ground rod; north of us either way and in the city if bonding jumpers and GEC are installed the POCO will cut them out.

If it is a service lateral (underground then that is the responsibility of the poco in our area. Some areas the contractor is responsible so you need to check. I say this because the poco will never run a wire that match what the NEC requires. They have their own engineered rules so it is not the inspectors responsibility.

For those inspectors who "sticker" a meter for the electrical company to energize, do you open and look in the box at the internal wiring?

i do them, i open the meter can, see that it's properly arrached to the building, tug on the wires to see that the connecftions ate tight, look at wire size ot "mike them" with a nice burndy wire mike ( heh, heh), i check to see that the neutral is identified, i look for a grounding bushing and egc on the upper end of the offfset nipple, if that's all ok, i go to the panel below ( most every thing here is outside 3r)

thanks , actually I intended to post in this section because I am more interested in those who are not specifically electrical inspectors, but perhaps general residential inspectors that have this type of inspection as part of their duties.