• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Electrical to a kitchen island on a slab

So Jeff, how about you participate in this thread and tell us what the point was.
The MC cable used is not compliant with the installation planned and was subsequently failed as MC is not allowed in this application. As far as concrete, this is in the electrical section and I have to opinion.

The MC cable used is not compliant with the installation planned and was subsequently failed as MC is not allowed in this application. As far as concrete, this is in the electrical section and I have to opinion.
You’re starting to sound like a building official...Earlier I thought that you said that this MC was coated and approved for concrete encasement.....I tried to tell if that was the case but it looked like just regular MC to me.....My question would be, How large is the island?

You’re starting to sound like a building official...Earlier I thought that you said that this MC was coated and approved for concrete encasement.....I tried to tell if that was the case but it looked like just regular MC to me.....My question would be, How large is the island?
If I remember correctly, they changed it to coated MC suitable for concrete encasement after the first fail. On one job of them, they converted to EMT and another they used Schedule 80 PVC. I see all different ways including in conduit and on top of the floor but they are adding thick tile with very thick mortar/thinset as a base. This was almost 2 years ago so I don't remember

North Star pointed out: No sole plates, you stated: No sole plate in this type construction? Huh..

Termites, moisture issues and connection?

IMO, the code appears to be too complicated to enforce.

North Star pointed out: No sole plates, you stated: No sole plate in this type construction? Huh..

Termites, moisture issues and connection?

IMO, the code appears to be too complicated to enforce.
PCI, I am guessing, but looks like a masonry wall system with vertical nailers showing, but I could be wrong.

tbz, you're probably right, there's a lot of block construction in Florida. They also like to out-swing exterior doors.

Was watching COPS one day on TV and they we're busting the door out instead of in, had a chain and fence post driver attached to the door.

And they have to use the correct fittings on the EMT to maintain wet location approval...

If I remember correctly, they changed it to coated MC suitable for concrete encasement after the first fail. On one job of them, they converted to EMT and another they used Schedule 80 PVC. I see all different ways including in conduit and on top of the floor but they are adding thick tile with very thick mortar/thinset as a base. This was almost 2 years ago so I don't remember

Love when "knowledgeable" experts duel without haveing all the facts initially.
Industry standard, best practice, regiionly accepted?