• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

elevated slab support

Sifu

SAWHORSE
Is there any prescriptive code for an elevated slab, specifically steel deck spans and other such info? seems like I remember it from my past but a quick check didn't yield any results. Have a porch span I am trying to help a builder determine how to handle.

Needs a design professional.

If you are building an exterior deck be concerned about water and corrosion issues. This can especially be a problem if metal deck is used.

Back in my building days all my plans were engineered so it was never an issue. I just thought I remembered something in the code about B decking spans. I already suggested a DP though I also told him it might be better not to fly the deck anyway considering the condensation and leakage issues even with proper ventilation. Thanks anyway.

ACI documents will give you tons of info with respect to slab design, rebar requirements, forms, shores and re-shores. etc. Assuming you are talking about elevated concrete slab. I don't have all the ACI doc's currrent or handy, however, your DP should be familier with these things. ACI Manuals of Concrete Practice, large encyclopedia type volumes. good reading , good luck

Read enough in ACI to leave it alone. I think the scope of the elevated slab is too much for this guy anyway. None the less I'll let the DP handle it if it goes that way.