• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Elevation of ignition source

klarenbeek said:
Also, this doesn't apply just to fuel fired appliances. Anything that sparks is a source of ignition: contactors, motors, ect. can also ignite gasoline fumes. Those items would also need to be elevated 18".
would you require receptacles to be 18+" above the floor?

pwood said:
would you require receptacles to be 18+" above the floor?
Sorry, no. I should have said anything within the appliance that can spark. The code section is specific to appliances only, so this section does not include outlets. (BTW, I should qualify this with the fact that I only cover mechanical inspections. Inspectors in our jurisdiction are trade specific.)

Here's one I have heard a couple of times - "Does just the ignition source or the whole appliance need to be elevated 18 inches?"

The code section just says "source of ignition" so I take that to mean only whatever can ignite fumes. The bottom of the cabinet housing could be below 18" as long as any motors and contacts are up 18".