• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Elevator cab dimensions for stretcher - 2009 IBC NEW JERSEY edition

Scott_R

Bronze Member
Here are the details:

3 story condo building in State of New Jersey - R2 use group, 2009 IBC New Jersey Addition

Elevator being provided (3 stop) no basement - all 3 stories above grade plane.

According to 2009 IBC NJ chapter 30, 3002.4 a 24" x 84" ambulance stretcher must be able to fit in the car in "horizontal open position". In NJ, there is an additional section 3002.4.1 that reads "in ANY newly constructed multiple structure irregardless of building height" - the elevator shall meet the dimensional requirements above.

A 2,500 lb elevator is an industry standard for R2 use group under 4 stories. We have 3 stories and cannot find an elevator manufacture that makes a car fitting these dimensions unless it is a minimum of 4,000 lbs.

A 2500, 3000 and 3500 lb car has a clear interior dimension of 6'-8". The manufacturer has spec. literature that states 2,500 and 3,000 lb cars meet the NEII (National Elevator Industry,Inc) code requirements for stretcher requirements and when I spoke to them, they note the stretcher in a "tilted position".

How can this be??

How does the IBC define "horizontal open position"?

Please add any insight to this issue. Thank you.

View attachment 1696

View attachment 1697

Commentary seems to mean Flat, not head up or feet up

It also shows different door openings and kind of how to get the stretcher in in fifty moves

PLEASE excuse the double post, don't know how that happened - can't figure out how to delete one of them?

I have checked with the major ones, OTIS, Schindler - same issue. 4,000 lb for starters which is crazy.

Have you asked the ahj to see what they will accept

And maybe check new projects in same city to see what was installed

This is exactly why I have an EXCELLENT elevator inspector consultant.. he can drop the hammer, so I'm not always the bad guy. I'm going to invite him to join, because he's been doing elevator inspections for a LONG time, and knows it all. He's the only one I trust to hire.