• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Elevator Code

Examiner

Does anyone know if there was a change in the elevator code that is now requiring phones in elevators that service buildings under 4-stories. An elevator manufacturer is claiming that we need a phone in a two story elevator due to the new elevator code. I do not think he is refering to the 2006 IBC chapter on elevators.

In put need as soon as I can get it please.

From the 2007 elevator code:

2.27.1 Car Emergency Signaling Devices

2.27.1.1 Emergency Communications

2.27.1.1.1 A two-way communications means between the car and a location staffed by authorized personnel shall be provided.

2.27.1.1.2 When the two-way communicationslocation is not staffed 24 h a day, by authorized personnel who can take appropriate action, the means of two-way communications shall automatically be directed within30 s to an additional on- or off-site location, staffed by authorized personnel, where an appropriate response can be taken.

2.27.1.1.3 The two-way communication means within the car shall comply with the following requirements:

(a) In jurisdictions enforcing NBCC, Appendix E of CSA B44, or in jurisdictions not enforcing NBCC, ICC/ ANSI A117.1.

(b) A push button to actuate the two-way communication means shall be provided in or adjacent to a car operating panel. The push button shall be visible and permanently identified as "HELP." The identification shall be on or adjacent to the "HELP" button. When the push button is actuated, the emergency two-way communication means shall initiate a call for help and establish two-way communications.

© A visual indication on the same panel as the "HELP" push button shall be provided, that is activated by authorized personnel, to acknowledge that two-way communications link has been established. The visual indication shall be extinguished when the two-way communication link is terminated.

(d) The two-way communication means shall provide on demand to authorized personnel, information that identifies the building location and elevator number and that assistance is required.

(e) After the call acknowledgement signals are sent [2.27.1.1.3©], the two-way voice communications shall be available between the car and authorized personnel.

(f) The two-way communications, once established, shall be disconnected only when authorized personnel outside the car terminate the call.

(g) The two-way communication means shall not use a handset in the car.

(h) The two-way communications shall not be transmitted to an automated answering system. The call for help shall be answered by authorized personnel.

(i) Operating instructions shall be incorporated with or adjacent to the "HELP" button.

2.27.1.1.4 Where the elevator rise is 18 m (60 ft) or more, a two-way voice communication means within the building accessible to emergency personnel shall be provided and comply with the following requirements:

(a) The means shall enable emergency personnel within the building to establish two-way voice communications to each car individually. Two-way voice communication shall be established without any intentional delay and shall not require intervention by a person within the cat The means shall override communications to outside of the building.

(b) Two-way voice communications, once established, shall be disconnected only when emergency personnel outside the car terminates the call.

© Once the two-way voice communication has been established, the visual indication [see 2.27.1.1.3©] within the car shall illuminate. The visual indication shall be extinguished when the two-way communication is terminated.

(d) Operating instructions shall be incorporated with or adjacent to the two-way voice communication outside the car. Instructions shall conform to 2.27.7.3.

not a traditional phone

The two-way communication means shall not use a handset in the car.

surface-20mount-20sm-3000-250x250.jpg

I'm not sure what they're referring to as the "new elevator code" as the two way communication has been a requirement since at least the late 1990's version of the ASME code for elevators.

Mark, I cannot see the new panels picture. It is a red X. Right clicked on it and clicked show picture, still nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to view pictures?

Back on the elevator two-way communications again in a two story building.

Given: AHJ Code is 2006 IBC.

Code Congress told me that the elevator code referenced in the 2006 IBC is ASME A17.1 –04 with 2005 Supplement. I checked the code and that is correct.

The ICC stated to me that the elevator people cannot require a newer elevator code than what is referenced in the adopted AHJ’s code.

The elevator company is insisting that a telephone line is required for the two-way communications or some type of two-way communications. Currently it is not in the project.

After reading ASME A17.1-2007 sent to me from the elevator person, which is the same as Mark had posted in his response; I am confused if any type of two-way communication is required for the under 60-ft of travel. An older elevator in the building where I work only has a switch for an alarm in case of emergency.

If the elevator is under 60-ft of vertical travel;

Is any type of two-way communication required under the ASME A17.1 –04 with 2005 Supplement?

Is any type of two-way communication required under the ASME A17.1 –07?

Input welcome.

Thanks Mark but the office Baraacuda software is not letting me see one of the links you sent; (new panels have them "built in") is the one I cannot see. Oh, well.

Can you provide any answers to the two questions I posted yesterday?

Look here: http://bulk.resource.org/codes.gov/ You can read and download elevator codes for several states, many of which are ASME A17.1 –04 with supplements & state amendments.

"2.27.1.1.1 A two-way communications means between the car and a location in the building, that is readily accessible to authorized and emergency personnel shall be provided." This requirement doesn't depend on travel distance.

2.27.1.1.4 adds more requirements once travel distance exceeds 60 feet. The main one appears to be letting emergency personnel inside the building initiate the call.

3.27 requires emergency operation and signaling devices for hydraulic elevators to comply with 2.27.