• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Elevator control ADA question

e hilton

Bronze Member
2010 ADA standards section 407.4.6.4 says Emergency control buttons must be 35” aff minimum. But nowhere can i find a definition of which buttons are considered emergency. Can anyone point me to a source? Specifically asking about the “door close” and “phone” buttons.

Anything with the word emergency???

Thanks guys. So far none of those define which buttons are “emergency” so i am going to push back on the auditors and make them provide the definition.

Thanks guys. So far none of those define which buttons are “emergency” so i am going to push back on the auditors and make them provide the definition.
It’s in parentheses at the lower left of the illustration of the button panel.

Attachments

• 37BAC02C-1384-4234-BBB5-7ACFC0135BBA.jpeg
    37BAC02C-1384-4234-BBB5-7ACFC0135BBA.jpeg
    456 KB · Views: 5
I saw that. It doesn’t say “the emergency buttons are a, b and c” but it certainly implies that.

If the button has the word emergency,,, it just may be an emergency button

Sounds like only e stop and alarm are the only two that apply

Might be general if buttons are added or deleted in the future

If the button has the word emergency,,, it just may be an emergency button
How many buttons actually have the word “emergency” on them? One, i think.

I think stop buttons are no longer permitted. So that leaves alarm and door open.

Tried

Don’t think door open is an emergency button

Now have to look at a new elevator

Guess the other thing,,, they come from the factory set up and elevator company should know ada

Guess the other thing,,, they come from the factory set up and elevator company should know ada
You are correct. However comma the auditors have called it out as non-compliant, apparently out of ignorance, so i need to find a way to educate them. I need backup to support my position.

You are correct. However comma the auditors have called it out as non-compliant, apparently out of ignorance, so i need to find a way to educate them. I need backup to support my position

Darn government employees

So what buttons do they consider emergency???

One of the newest elevators I have seen

Attachments

• 6EF9FC60-A168-4BC7-9286-CEDEA53194D4.jpeg
    6EF9FC60-A168-4BC7-9286-CEDEA53194D4.jpeg
    53.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 6A884F38-18EF-47B8-951A-42C377FEF1D8.jpeg
    6A884F38-18EF-47B8-951A-42C377FEF1D8.jpeg
    11.9 KB · Views: 6