• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Elevator egress doors?

tmc5005

In the McKeon Door manual on page 3 from this brochure http://www.mckeondoor.com/assets/mckeondoor/Fire%20Door%20Systems%20-%20A%20Guide%20To%20Code%20Compliance.pdf they state that

“Note: The building code now requires in buildings four stories or more at least one elevator dedicated as a means of egress for the disabled during an emergency or fire (Section 1007.2; 1007.4). In order to access the elevator the opening protective, whether it be at the point of access or part of the lobby, must be approved self and automatic closing conforming exit assembly (Section 1008.1). This can only be achieved with a side acting accordion fire door approved in a means of egress or a conventional swing door."

When I go to the sections of the Section 1007.2; 1007.4 and Section 1008.1 there is nothing stating that a egress door is required in an elevator means of egress Is a swing or accordion door required when the elevator lobby is not enclosed or is a fire rated standard elevator door acceptable? Do elevator door manufactures make elevator fire doors?

welcome

do you know what edtion they are referencing???

and have you adopted that edtion??

can I ask what side you are coming from are you an ahj, elevator person, other

They are referencing IBC Building Code 2009

I am a architect

cda said:
welcomedo you know what edtion they are referencing???

and have you adopted that edtion??

can I ask what side you are coming from are you an ahj, elevator person, other

Waiting for someone a little more elevator savvy to chime in

But maybe this is the answer to your question

SECTION 3002 HOISTWAY ENCLOSURES

3002.1 Hoistway enclosure protection. Elevator, dumbwaiter and other hoistway enclosures shall be shaft enclosures complying with Section 708.

3002.1.1 Opening protectives. Openings in hoistway enclosures shall be protected as required in Chapter 7.

Exception: The elevator car doors and the associated hoistway enclosure doors at the floor level designated for recall in accordance with Section 3003.2 shall be permitted to remain open during Phase I Emergency Recall Operation.

Would say if no elevator lobby is required than no extra features are required

If an elevator lobby is required there are different means to do that

My impression is that the purported requirement for a door is based on the provision that the accessible elevator be accessed via an area of refuge or horizontal exit. A door would be required with the area of refuge or horizontal exit.

However, there are exceptions to 1007.4 that allow accessible elevators to not require an area of refuge, such as sprinkler protection (per Exception 2).

**Added**

Also, see Section 708.14.1 for elevator lobby requirements and exceptions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe this issue has been addressed in a publication; significant changes to the a117.1 accessibility standard 2009 edition.

tmc, sorry a little off base with my responce, but changes to the elevator door openings for ADA should be considered.

pc1

Where is the project. different states amend the code.

Accessible Egress

Section 1007 of the 2006 IBC requires the availability of elevators for accessible egress.

http://www.mrsc.org/artdocmisc/elevators.pdf

Chapter 11 in Section 1109.6 requires elevators that are on an accessible route to be accessible (meaning they meet ICC A117) and meet Section 3001.3. At least one elevator shall be accessible (meaning it meet all the features and dimensions in ICC A117). Chapter 10 has the means of egress requirements. In a five story building, at least one elevator shall comply with the special means of egress requirements in Section 1007.4. I hope this answers your question.

1007.1 Accessible means of egress required. - Chapter 10 - Means ...

publicecodes.cyberregs.com/st/.../st_ny_st_b300v10_10_sec007.htm1007.4

Elevators. In order to be considered part of an accessible means of egress, an elevator shall comply

Last edited by a moderator: