• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Elevator emergency button

depfm66

I have an R-2 with a recently installed new elevator. Since the elevator was put inservice three days ago we have recieved about a half dozen calls because residents are accidentally pressing the emergency button and with no voice contact the elevator company notifies the 911 Center.

Is there anything on the market that can be placed over this button, that will meet the intent of the code, to reduce the probability of residents pressing this button? I was thinking along the lines of a flip-up cover and then the button can be pressed. I welcoem any suggestions. Thank you.

Charge the residents for an emergency call... They won't do it again.

Also, Many elevator companies locate the button away from the others...

elevatorbutton.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
ASME 17 pretty much took out the stop button (it started being called the rape switch)... the emergency button should contact the property maintenance or monitoring company. Since Mark's photo is in French, I assume it's not in the US.