• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Elevator pit

It depends upon what version of the elevator code is adopted. Some versions required 50 gpm per car and others only the pit.

2.2.2.5 In elevators provided with Firefighters' Emergency Operation, a drain or sump pump shall be provided. The sump pump/drain shall have the capacity to remove a minimum of 11.4 m3/h (3,000 gal/h) per elevator.

Last edited by a moderator:
A 4" drain can handle it, a 4" drain with a deep enough trap, enough head water, and the right fall on the horizontal line can handle well over 50 gpm.

I had a case where a designer provided a drain and tank large enough to collect all the hydraulic fluid from the pit in the event of failure.

gbhammer said:
I had a case where a designer provided a drain and tank large enough to collect all the hydraulic fluid from the pit in the event of failure.
What happens when the fire sprinklers fill the tank and sump.....

My favorite was in a vehicle maintenance area where they took the drain from the oil change service pit to the elevator sump so they would only need one pump and one sand oil separator.

mark h. asked

What happens when the fire sprinklers fill the tank and sump.....
Not to be a smarty pants or anything, but you will have an overflow event when the containerdesignated to capture the sump wastes overflows. The spilling of elevator hydraulic oil & other

wastes might be an environmental issue as well.

Some thought might want to be given to properly designing an approved disposal method for

the sump wastes.

Just sayin'..

Our jurisdiction requires duel sump pumps 2009 UPC 710 and an oil water separator 2009 UPC 1017. Chapter 7 of the 2009 UPC requires preventing oil from entering the sewer. Next week I'm meeting with an mechanical engineer on a oil sensing device (switch). If this device meets listing requirements we may consider omitting the oil water separator.