• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Elevator responsibility

jar546

Forum Coordinator
In PA, the Dept of L&I handles the elevators although they do have 3rd party elevator inspectors listed on their site. Does anyone here to elevators?

Re: Elevator responsibility

We use a 3rd party elevator plan review and inspection agency...

From the Property Maintenance Code of NY State:

606.1.1 Elevators, dumbwaiters, escalators and platform lifts shall be maintained and meet schedule of inspections in accord with Building Code of New York State Section 3001, and Appendix N, Table-1 of ASME A17.1 and ASME A18.1.

I don't know if any other agencies require inspection & maintenance of elevators, but I have a lot of them here. I always require the most recent test & maint record for each at the time of annual Fire & PM inspections.

Mac

This balance has been a challenge for some projects, especially where the smoke control design for hoistway pressurization is approved with the fire department and involves recall of the elevators upon any alarm such as to limit a potential piston effect.

Upon inspection by L&I, though the fire alarm contractor may have programmed elevator recall in accordance with the approved plans, L&I has been known to say that the only device that is to recall their elevators is a lobby smoke detector!

I am a third-party QEI inspector and also a Designer/Consultant. If I were to point out any particular issue that Code enforcement and Architect/Engineers should be concerned with it's verifying that inspections are being performed by persons who are ASME QEI-1 certified and that that person is in no way financially involved with the installer/maintenance contractor. Although there do remain some States that still have an old boy network of State employed inspectors, the overwhelming majority now certify only QEI as the standard for qualfication.

In AZ we have a state elevator inspector that handles that. We get involved during construction as required for size issues regarding stretchers as well as recall and smoke control issues only.

Greg

In CA we also have a state elevator inspector. The inspector must inspect the elevator prior to use.

It will be interesting if we adopt the 09 IBC as we are scheduled for Jan 1, 2010. With the changes in the IBC for a fire service elevator being added to Ch, 4, 10 & 30 we will be stuck because we did not adopt chapter 30 since the State has an elevator division. I want to see how that will be handled.

Chapter 30 doesn't even nick the skin of what is involved with elevator inspections; elevator inspectors need to be QEI certified, which means they at some point were elevator mechanics, and are proficient in the requirements of ASME 17.1