• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Elevator threshold tolerance

kpdqueens

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the allowable difference in height between the finished floor and the elevator cab floor can be? I'm specifically looking for info on an elevator in a residential building. For example, if the cab stops, doors open, and you have to step up or down more than 1/2" to the finished floor, is that legal?

Sounds like the elevator maintenance company needs to adjust the stop.
Thanks for the reply. I have contacted my building management several times to no avail. I have tripped many times over the 1"+ discrepancy and they have not fixed it. I'd like to submit a formal complaint to DOB but I would like to know the Code before doing so. I just can't find the answer online.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the allowable difference in height between the finished floor and the elevator cab floor can be? I'm specifically looking for info on an elevator in a residential building. For example, if the cab stops, doors open, and you have to step up or down more than 1/2" to the finished floor, is that legal?
Not sure where I got this from, but I believe anything in a finished area like that, greater than 1/4 inch sounds like a trip hazard

I do not have the elevator standards for New York
But:

2010 ADASAD Standards
407.4.4 Leveling. Each car shall be equipped with a self-leveling feature that will automatically bring and maintain the car at floor landings within a tolerance of ½ inch under rated loading to zero loading conditions.

Why do you need the code reference before submitting a complaint?
I just want to do my research before I submit a more formal complaint. I don't want to go through all the effort to have it be determined that 1" discrepancy (or whatever it may be) is legally acceptable. I'd like to present the complaint that it goes against a specific code.