• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Elevator travel distance

with a wheel or tape measure

in what context is the question being asked, ADA, bathroom access, acessablity codes?

TheCommish said:
with a wheel or tape measurein what context is the question being asked, ADA, bathroom access, acessablity codes?
We are modern use lasers now

For firefighter function and similar

Says anything over 25 ft

I found this seems correct

Definition:

The maximum elevator travel length is the greatest distance within a structure traveled by a single elevator. It is measured from the lowest utilized position of the elevator floor to the highest position of the same floor. If the elevator's travel path bends, the distance is calculated along the curve or track of its route rather than a straight line.

ASME A17.1-2007, considers this a "rise" and is defined as "the vertical distance between the bottom terminal landing and the top terminal landing of an elevator, dumbwaiter, or material lift."

cda said:
I found this seems correctDefinition:

The maximum elevator travel length is the greatest distance within a structure traveled by a single elevator. It is measured from the lowest utilized position of the elevator floor to the highest position of the same floor. If the elevator's travel path bends, the distance is calculated along the curve or track of its route rather than a straight line.
2009 IBC chapter 30

cda said:
We are modern use lasers nowFor firefighter function and similar

Says anything over 25 ft
damb batteries always dead in mine

saw a carpenter using a hand saw the other day, asked him what it was, he said "cordless saw"