• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Elevators - how many?

pilgrim

Working on a School Building here in Calif. CBC section 11b 206.2.3.2 Distance to Elevators states,

"In newly constructed Buildings where elevators are required by section 11B-206.2.3, and which exceed 10,000 sq.ft. on any floor, an accessible means of vertical access via ...elevator...shall be provided within 200 feet of travel of each (emphasis mine) new stair or escalator."

I'm interpreting this to mean that as long as the elevator is within 200 feet of each stair (example 1 elevator and two stairs that are both within 200 feet of the elevator) this satisfies the requirement (I'm not taking this to mean that for each required stair you need an elevator but ???).

If I'm correct, at what point does any story require the 2nd elevator? I cannot seem to find this layed out anywhere in the CBC or IBC....

Sorry for the basic question. New to elevator planning and wisdom from a multitude of counselors is welcomed...

Thanks!

You are interpreting it the same way I do. As long as you have an elevator within 200 feet of a stairway you are good. You could have 4 stairways in a square with the elevator in the middle still meet the code IMO.

Thanks Msradell. I thought that was the case.

CBC 11b-206.2.3 states,
"At least one accessible route (elevator) shall connect each story....in multi-story buildings and facilities" If so, then do additional elevators result where the Distances to Stairways are greater than 200 feet?

Or are their other factors? Occupancy/ Waiting time...

Thanks,

Unless you need more than one for accessible MOE (for some reason I can't think of) one would be all you need, I do not believe we even have the 200ft rule here...