• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Elevators

It depends on the design, how the units are dispersed, qualification for exemptions, type of R-2 dwelling, etc. An elevator is not necessarily explicitly required either; but a ramp may not be a feasible option for reaching a second, third, etc. story. Elevators are just one of the methods for providing an accessible route to an upper/lower story.

Need substantially more information.

2021 IBC

1108.4 Accessible Route

Not fewer than one accessible route shall connect accessible building or facility entrances with the primary entrance of each Accessible unit, Type A unit and Type B unit within the building or facility and with those exterior and interior spaces and facilities that serve the units.
Exceptions:

1. If due to circumstances outside the control of the owner, either the slope of the finished ground level between accessible facilities and buildings exceeds one unit vertical in 12 units horizontal (1:12), or where physical barriers or legal restrictions prevent the installation of an accessible route, a vehicular route with parking that complies with Section 1106 at each public or common use facility or building is permitted in place of the accessible route.
  2. In Group I-3 facilities, an accessible route is not required to connect stories or mezzanines where Accessible units, all common use areas serving Accessible units and all public use areas are on an accessible route.
  3. In Group R-2 facilities with Type A units complying with Section 1108.6.2.2.1, an accessible route is not required to connect stories or mezzanines where Type A units, all common use areas serving Type A units and all public use areas are on an accessible route.
  4. In other than Group R-2 dormitory housing provided by places of education, in Group R-2 facilities with Accessible units complying with Section 1108.6.2.3.1, an accessible route is not required to connect stories or mezzanines where Accessible units, all common use areas serving Accessible units and all public use areas are on an accessible route.
  5. In Group R-1, an accessible route is not required to connect stories or mezzanines within individual units, provided the accessible level meets the provisions for Accessible units and sleeping accommodations for two persons minimum and a toilet facility are provided on that level.
  6. In congregate residences in Groups R-3 and R-4, an accessible route is not required to connect stories or mezzanines where Accessible units or Type B units, all common use areas serving Accessible units and Type B units and all public use areas serving Accessible units and Type B units are on an accessible route.
  7. An accessible route between stories is not required where Type B units are exempted by Section 1108.7.

1108.6.2.3 Group R-2 Other Than Live/Work Units, Apartment Houses, Monasteries and Convents

In Group R-2 occupancies, other than live/work units, apartment houses, monasteries and convents falling within the scope of Sections 1108.6.2.1 and 1108.6.2.2, Accessible units and Type B units shall be provided in accordance with Sections 1108.6.2.3.1 and 1108.6.2.3.2. Bedrooms within congregate living facilities, dormitories, sororities, fraternities and boarding houses shall be counted as sleeping units for the purpose of determining the number of units. Where the bedrooms are grouped into dwelling or sleeping units, only one bedroom in each dwelling or sleeping unit shall be permitted to count toward the number of required Accessible units.

1108.6.2.3.1 Accessible Units

Accessible dwelling units and sleeping units shall be provided in accordance with Table 1108.6.1.1.

1108.6.2.3.2 Type B Units

Where there are four or more dwelling units or sleeping units intended to be occupied as a residence in a single structure, every dwelling unit and every sleeping unit intended to be occupied as a residence shall be a Type B unit.
Exception: The number of Type B units is permitted to be reduced in accordance with Section 1108.7.

To make a long story short, we were called out to a seven story apartment building because the elevator had been out of service for 20 days. There are a few handicap individuals on the upper floors. There are no dwelling units on the first floor building was constructed in 1950. We closed the building and evacuated the occupants for several reasons, including the elevator not working.the state fire marshals office notified us that we could not close the building simply because the elevator did not work that an elevator was not required. The fire suppression system has not been serviced in seven years, and the fire alarm system was not working at all.

What is the distance (in feet) to the highest occupied floor level as measured from the lowest level of fire department vehicle access?
IBC 403.6, 1009.2.1

The fire chief made the decision to not allow a fire watch. The sprinkler system is in horrible shape and will require extensive repair as well as the fire alarm system. Most of the decisions where made by the fire chief and the fire marshal before I arrived. I just cant find anything that would require the elevator be in working order before they can re-occupy. The landlord tenant act requires it to work because it is there, but if repair is in process the re-entry should be allowed.

For an existing building form the 1950s with no major alterations, changes of occupancy, or new dwelling units proposed, I doubt the code in existence at time of original permit required an elevator. there were no accessibility codes at that time, and no accessible means of egress requirements.
From Woodrow's previous posts, it sounds like the issue is deferred maintenance and repairs on multiple life-safety systems.
Woodrow, I can't tell from the wording of your posts whether:
A) You WANT to close down the building for some other reason, and are looking for a code rationale to do so; or
B) You DON'T want to close down the building, but some code enforcement official is making you close it down, and you want to fight it.

Please clarify.

For an existing building form the 1950s with no major alterations, changes of occupancy, or new dwelling units proposed, I doubt the code in existence at time of original permit required an elevator. there were no accessibility codes at that time, and no accessible means of egress requirements.
From Woodrow's previous posts, it sounds like the issue is deferred maintenance and repairs on multiple life-safety systems.
Woodrow, I can't tell from the wording of your posts whether:
A) You WANT to close down the building for some other reason, and are looking for a code rationale to do so; or
B) You DON'T want to close down the building, but some code enforcement official is making you close it down, and you want to fight it.

Please clarify.
I agreed with closing it. This building has been a nuisance since before my time. They are wanting to move back in once life safety is satisfied and before elevator is repaired. I want to hold them off until elevator is repaired.

You may want to reach out to Fair Housing. Is the building owner paying the cost for the housing of the displaced individuals and families?
The elevator not working is not sufficient to warrant evacuation of the building IMHO. However, the non-working fire alarm and the out-of-date suppression system could be.

SECTION 31-21-10. Short title.

This chapter is known and may be cited as the South Carolina Fair Housing Law.

HISTORY: 1989 Act No. 72, Section 1.

SECTION 31-21-20. State policy.

It is the policy of this State to provide, within constitutional limitations, for fair housing throughout the State.

HISTORY: 1989 Act No. 72, Section 1.

SECTION 31-21-30. Definitions.

For purposes of this chapter:

(1) "Commission" means the South Carolina Human Affairs Commission.

(2) "Commissioner" means the Commissioner of the South Carolina Human Affairs Commission.

(3) "Covered multi-family dwellings" means:

(a) buildings consisting of four or more units if the buildings have one or more elevators; and

(b) ground floor units in other buildings consisting of four or more units.
The fire chief made the decision to not allow a fire watch.
The fire suppression system has not been serviced in seven years, and the fire alarm system was not working at all.

He does not have to require a fire watch; he can order the building evacuated. He does need to grow a pair and do his job.

901.7 Systems out of service.
Where a required fire protection system is out of service, the fire department and the fire code official shall be notified immediately and, where required by the fire code official, the building shall be either evacuated or an approved fire watch shall be provided for all occupants left unprotected by the shutdown until the fire protection system has been returned to service.

The HUD Fair Housing amendments only apply to multifamily housing built for first occupancy after March 13, 1991. I don't know if the state's requirements are retroactive.

I learned from a county attorney that sometimes who you list as cc at the bottom of your correspondence can get a quicker positive response from who you are trying to get compliance from even though you never followed through with notifying the cc parties.

I learned from a county attorney that sometimes who you list as cc at the bottom of your correspondence can get a quicker positive response from who you are trying to get compliance from even though you never followed through with notifying the cc parties.
I tell my staff to put me on the email if they are struggling....it works...