• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Emergency Control Function Interface Devices

LGreene

I don't get into NFPA 72 too much, so I'm hoping someone can help me with this question. Some access control systems for doors are required to be connected to the fire alarm system. For example, when a door has an electromagnetic lock that is released by a sensor which detects an approaching occupant, one of the additional releasing requirements is that the lock unlocks upon actuation of the fire protection system.

A question came up regarding the distance between the access control panel and the fire alarm contact. I found this in NFPA 72:

21.2.4* Emergency control function interface devices shall be located within 3 ft (1 m) of the component controlling the emergency control function.

Is the "emergency control function interface device" the fire alarm contact? And is the "component controlling the emergency control function" the power supply/panel for the access control system? And the actual locks could be installed in remote locations?

Thanks, as always!

It appears the relay of module would have to be with in three feet of ,,, I would say the access control panel,

If the access control panel is the device that say kills power to the locks.

A.‍21.2.4

Emergency control function interface devices can be located far from the device to be activated, such as air-handling units and exhaust fans located on the roof. The requirement for monitoring installation wiring for integrity only applies to the wiring between the fire alarm control unit and the emergency control function interface device. For example, it does not apply to the wiring between the emergency control function interface device and a motor stop/start control relay, or between the emergency control function interface device and the equipment to be controlled (e.g., air-handling units and exhaust fans). The location of the emergency control function interface device within 3 ft (0.9 m) applies to the point of interface and not to remotely located equipment.

FAQ

Where must the fire alarm and signaling system emergency control function interface device be located?

An emergency control function may involve turning on a fan through the operation of a motor controller located remotely from the fan. This action is accomplished through the operation of an emergency control function interface device such as a listed relay connected as an output from the fire alarm and signaling system. The distance between the emergency control function interface device and the fan motor controller cannot exceed 3 ft (1 m), in accordance with 21.2.4. Positioning the emergency control function interface device within 3 ft (1 m) of the fan is unnecessary. However, as the distance between the fan motor controller and the fan increases, so does the potential for interruption of power to the fan