• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Emergency escape & rescue openings

jwells

The 2012 IBC changed section 1029 by deleting the exception for sprinkling. I understand this was an editorial change only since residential occupancies were already required to be sprinklered. However, my AHJ is interpreting it as a reimplementation of windows in all sleeping rooms. That should only be relevant for buildings with one exit. In short, there is no real change in the code. Am i correct?

I'll have to look when I get to work tomorrow, meanwhile.......welcome to the forum!

2012::

SECTION 1029 EMERGENCY ESCAPE AND RESCUE

1029.1 General.

In addition to the means of egress required by this chapter, provisions shall be made for emergency escape and rescue openings in Group R-2 occupancies in accordance with Tables 1021.2(1) and 1021.2(2) and Group R-3 occupancies. Basements and sleeping rooms below the fourth story above grade plane shall have at least one exterior emergency escape and rescue opening in accordance with this section. Where basements contain one or more sleeping rooms, emergency escape and rescue openings shall be required in each sleeping room, but shall not be required in adjoining areas of the basement. Such openings shall open directly into a public way or to a yard or court that opens to a public way.

Exceptions:

1. Basements with a ceiling height of less than 80 inches (2032 mm) shall not be required to have emergency escape and rescue openings.

2. Emergency escape and rescue openings are not required from basements or sleeping rooms that have an exit door or exit access door that opens directly into a public way or to a yard, court or exterior exit balcony that opens to a public way.

3. Basements without habitable spaces and having no more than 200 square feet (18.6 m2) in floor area shall not be required to have emergency escape and rescue openings.

1029.1 General. In addition to the means of egress required by this chapter, provisions shall be made for emergency escape and rescue in Group R and I-1 occupancies. Basements and sleeping rooms below the fourth story above grade plane shall have at least one exterior emergency escape and rescue opening in accordance with this section. Where basements contain one or more sleeping rooms, emergency escape and rescue openings shall be required in each sleeping room, but shall not be required in adjoining areas of the basement. Such openings shall open directly into a public way or to a yard or court that opens to a public way.

Exceptions:

1. In other than Group R-3 occupancies, buildings equipped throughout with an approved automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 or 903.3.1.2.

2. In other than Group R-3 occupancies, sleeping rooms provided with a door to a fire-resistance-rated corridor having access to two remote exits in opposite directions.

3. The emergency escape and rescue opening is permitted to open onto a balcony within an atrium in accordance with the requirements of Section 404, provided the balcony provides access to an exit and the dwelling unit or sleeping unit has a means of egress that is not open to the atrium.

4. Basements with a ceiling height of less than 80 inches (2032 mm) shall not be required to have emergency escape and rescue windows.

5. High-rise buildings in accordance with Section 403.

6. Emergency escape and rescue openings are not required from basements or sleeping rooms that have an exit door or exit access door that opens directly into a public way or to a yard, court or exterior exit balcony that opens to a public way.

7. Basements without habitable spaces and having no more than 200 square feet (18.6 m2) in floor area shall not be required to have emergency escape windows.

Welcome J

How did you find us

Good first question

Is the answer in all the tables you have to read mentioned in 1029.1 2012 edition??

It appears to me that Emergency Evacuation Windows are an option if you want to provide single exits per Table 1021.2(1) and 1021.2(2). 1029.1 Does not automatically require them for Group R-2, only when required by those two tables.

And, welcome to the board.

In my opinion, the 2012 version is poorly written. I'm certain that emergency escape and rescue openings aren't required if the building is sprinklered, but the trigger phrase "Group R-2 occupancies in accordance with Tables 1021.2(1) and 1021.2(2)" isn't very clear. I'm going to have to convince my building official. I don't have the commentary, and I was hoping there was some clarity in it.

The code not clear, don't say it so!!!

With all the brain thrust put into code development it has to be clear

Yankee said:
I'm lost. I don't have tables 1021.2(1) or 1021.2(2) ???
You have to pay an extra dollar for them to print the tables!!

You are looking at 2012 edition

Should be below section 1021.2 Exits from stories.

I was at a presentation Wednesday by Chris Reeves, Manager of Technical Services at ICC.

This came up, and he stated that the exception was redundant due to all R occupancies being required to have sprinklers.

If it is already required to be sprinkled, why have an exception for sprinkled occupancies?

Window not required.

mj

cda said:
You have to pay an extra dollar for them to print the tables!!You are looking at 2012 edition

Should be below section 1021.2 Exits from stories.
2009 IBC

Section 1021 Number of Exits and Continuity

Section 1021.1 Exits from stories

Section 1021.2 Single Exits

Only one table, 1021.2

I got jiped!!

Yankee

Shouting::;; throwing brick at computer------

It is in the twenty twelve edition

2012!!!!

I was at a presentation Wednesday by Chris Reeves, Manager of Technical Services at ICC.This came up, and he stated that the exception was redundant due to all R occupancies being required to have sprinklers.
Maybe Mr Reeves should be made aware that not all jurisdictions that adopt the I-Codes adopt the sprinkler requirements.

mtlogcabin said:
Maybe Mr Reeves should be made aware that not all jurisdictions that adopt the I-Codes adopt the sprinkler requirements.
That was also brought up. Bottom line seemed to be, the Code is not perfect.

Really?!

This is the kind of things that the local politicians don't realize when they just take out the sprinkler requirement - there are many other requirements (or lack thereof) in the code based on the assumption that the building will have a sprinkler system because it is now required... Now we'll have LESS protection than the prior editions of the code required for non-sprinklered residences.

Can you have a bedroom in a SFR without a window or exterior door if it is sprinkle?

Rider Rick said:
Can you have a bedroom in a SFR without a window or exterior door if it is sprinkle?
what code and edition do you want to play with????

RR

Looks like required

SECTION R310 EMERGENCY ESCAPE AND RESCUE OPENINGS

R310.1 Emergency escape and rescue required.

Basements, habitable attics and every sleeping room shall have at least one operable emergency escape and rescue opening. Where basements contain one or more sleeping rooms, emergency egress and rescue openings shall be required in each sleeping room. Where emergency escape and rescue openings are provided they shall have a sill height of not more than 44 inches (1118 mm) measured from the finished floor to the bottom of the clear opening. Where a door opening having a threshold below the adjacent ground elevation serves as an emergency escape and rescue opening and is provided with a bulkhead enclosure, the bulkhead enclosure shall comply with Section R310.3. The net clear opening dimensions required by this section shall be obtained by the normal operation of the emergency escape and rescue opening from the inside. Emergency escape and rescue openings with a finished sill height below the adjacent ground elevation shall be provided with a window well in accordance with Section R310.2. Emergency escape and rescue openings shall open directly into a public way, or to a yard or court that opens to a public way.

Exception: Basements used only to house mechanical equipment and not exceeding total floor area of 200 square feet (18.58 m2).

jwells said:
In my opinion, the 2012 version is poorly written. I'm certain that emergency escape and rescue openings aren't required if the building is sprinklered, but the trigger phrase "Group R-2 occupancies in accordance with Tables 1021.2(1) and 1021.2(2)" isn't very clear. I'm going to have to convince my building official. I don't have the commentary, and I was hoping there was some clarity in it.
Even when sprinkle a bedroom is required to have an egress window or door?