• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Emergency Generator Location

Mule

Platinum Member
This is the best forum I could think of to ask this question. Not really electrical but.......

A retirement center is looking to install an emergency generator. The building is approximately fifteen feet tall. The exhaust from the generator will be around fifteen feet away from the building.

Is there any code issues as far as location to building for the exhaust? Should I be worried about any windows close by? Where the exhaust is on the generator..ie. ten feet off grade, pointing up, coming straight out the side????????????? What about enclosing the unit? Should it be? Noise pollution???? Electrical to and from the generator? What is the generator operating? Do I need a load calcs?

I've not really thought about any of these things before but the more the codes change the more I need you guys!

What should I look for? What questions should I ask? The information I posted is from a voice mail.

Thanks in advance!

You should get load calcs on the ENTIRE POSSIBLE load served in an automatic setup....(someone smarter than I may jump on that language.....we look for the manufacturers install instructions for clearances, as they know how hot it gets after running nonstop for a week...5' is a start for small gens, yours should be more...PM me I may be able to send you some stuff....

Is there any code issues as far as location to building for the exhaust?

Should I be worried about any windows close by?

Where the exhaust is on the generator..ie. ten feet off grade, pointing up, coming straight out the side?????????????

Mechanical code exhaust. Off the top of head... 10 feet

What about enclosing the unit? Should it be?

Zoning code issue

Noise pollution????

Zoning code issue

Electrical to and from the generator? What is the generator operating?

To should be zero, from based on Load calcs

Do I need a load calcs?

Both structural and Electrical

Electrical to......duh..... That's why I need you guys to keep me straight!

No zoning to require any enclosure. I was thinking more .......... I don't know what I was thinking! It's been one of those days!!!!!

Thanks for the information. This will get me started.... steveray I'll pm you. Never hurts to have info!

someone asked this question recently and there was a good asnwer, maybe do a search

there was something besides the fuel problem that kicked in distances

you did not say what the fuel is going to be???

SECTION 804

DIRECT-VENT, INTEGRAL VENT AND

MECHANICAL DRAFT SYSTEMS

804.3.3 Termination.

The termination of chimneys or vents equipped with power exhausters shall be located a minimum of 10 feet (3048 mm) from the lot line or from adjacent buildings. The exhaust shall be directed away from the building.

804.3.4 Horizontal terminations.

mark handler said:
Is there any code issues as far as location to building for the exhaust? Should I be worried about any windows close by?

Where the exhaust is on the generator..ie. ten feet off grade, pointing up, coming straight out the side?????????????

Mechanical code exhaust. Off the top of head... 10 feet

What about enclosing the unit? Should it be?

Zoning code issue

Noise pollution????

Zoning code issue

Electrical to and from the generator? What is the generator operating?

To should be zero, from based on Load calcs

Do I need a load calcs?

Both structural and Electrical
What's that saying to the right??? "Life is short inspect naked"????

Last edited by a moderator:
Watch your gas regulators also......here LP(vent) needs to be 5' (NFPA 58) and NG 3'(utility spec) from a source of ignition...Got your PM at home, but for some reason I can't see it here yet...if they are going to use it as a REQUIRED system to run e lights and things like that some of the requirements are different also.....

= +

I seem to recall something about properly anchoring a generator to the

foundation upon which it is located......Some contractors want to install

the switching panel behind vegetation, ...so correct access to the

electrical components, ya know, ...all that "working clearances"

stuff.....In step with " cda ", you did not mention what type of fuel

supply your generator will be the actual location.....If yours is a

natural gas or propane type fuel, then the IFGC will apply.....If

yours is a diesel or gasoline type, then the IFC will apply......Also,

the actual location will want to be considered because of access by

emergency response vehicles......Some contractors will want to

locate the generator based on their perceived needs / desires /

convenience, and could [ potenially ] block the access points to the

site......My guess is that a retirement center will have a higher

occurrence of emergency responses.

+ =

Thanks for all of your comments and links. It will definitly help out in the review process.

Sorry.. a little slow this AM... Diesel self contained. I'm thinking this thing is going to be HUGE if it is going to provide emergency power for a retirement center. This retirement center also has a wing that is classified I-2.