• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Emergency lighting unit requirements

katwalatapan

Hello,

I wanted to request insights into the requirements to provide emergency lighting unit in salt / sand sheds (100' x 50') which are classified under National Building Code of Canada major classification "F". These are low-hazard storage facilities which has a overhead door operator and manual door for entry/exit.

The NBCC mentions requirement to provide emergency lighting in "Principal routes providing access to exit in open floor areas". It does not specify applicable building classification types. I assume the manual door for entry/exit may classify as principal route providing access to exit, but I'm not sure if this mandates installation of an emergency lighting unit. So I thought to inquire if anyone familiar with installation of electrical distribution in salt / sand shed type facilities, would provide some insight into this requirement.

Thank you.

If you only have one door to deal with, and knowing that the shed will be used in bad weather and frequently at night … why not just go ahead and install an emergency fixture?

Surprised TM or one of the Canada guys didn't chime in....Bump.....Here you would likely get to one required exit so no emergency lighting would be required....