• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Brianna O.

Hi, all. Looking for some insight on the flexibility of the 2018 IEBC and 2018 IBC. The project has 5 exterior wood stairs that each serve three stories and 6 apartments units (30 total apartment units). The building was originally built early 1900's and also has an interior stair at the front entry of the building. For security reasons, the primary entry into the apartments are these exterior wood stairs at the back of the building. The owner wants to enclose them so they don't have snow and ice build-up in the winter and random people knocking on apartment doors. He also wants to use as much of the existing framing for the exterior stairs as possible. My issue is once you enclose the stairs, this is classified as a building addition (confirmed with the municipality and 2018 IEBC seems pretty clear on this). This means per the IBC all dimensional standards, fire and life safety requirements in the 2018 building code kick in for these stairs. As with pretty much any existing stair I've come across, dimensionally, they do not meet the requirements for commercial stairs. Has anyone here had a similar project where they were able to classify portions of the project as different levels of intervention? I'm wondering if it's possible to have the all new construction (exterior walls and ratings) meet the 2018 building code, and have the actual stairs fall into the repair category for prescriptive compliance as that is how the owner is viewing it, and I can understand his logic. I don't want to move forward with that scope and have the city inspector come in, measure the stairs and have to rip everything out. Generally, the stairs are having a few treads replaced, handrails replaced and floor material applied over them.

Welcome

""once you enclose the stairs, this is classified as a building addition"""

Not an IEBC person

But seems like the stairs are already there.

Kind of part of the footprint of the building.

Sounds like just adding weather protection, and maybe a door at the bottom, or somewhere??

Not sure how this counts as adding to the building?

Will let the more knowledgeable people answer, give maybe a few days for replies.

[A] ADDITION. An extension or increase in floor area,
number of stories, or height of a building or structure.

Doesn't sound like an addition to me and I would try really hard to allow someone to make their existing stairs "more safe" without getting crazy....

The stairs are technically adding to the gross floor area of each building, which is why the city is viewing this as an addition. I agree, if they are making the existing stairs safer, this should not be an argument with the city at all. This particular city used to allow for code variances for that specific reason. Unfortunately, once they adopted the 2018 codes, they removed that ability from their ordinance, so I am stuck with the literal verbiage of the code....

Well, when in Rome, think differently. I know you said security reasons also, thinking the parking is out back, so rather than have to walk around front, they enter from the rear.

So for the weather, maybe would the city allow a patio cover to be installed over the top level and then clear canvas covers added to keep out the snow and rain.

Unfortunately I would agree with their direction, you are adding enclosed space to the foot print.

A repair is fixing what is there, back to what was there.

When you change it to be better or different than before it is called an improvement and as thus not a repair.

Thus, enclosing it, yes it is better, but it is not a repair.

Can you request a code modification to allow them to remain? There are provisions in the IEBC for keeping existing stairs which don't meet present tread & riser dimensions. You are actually improving existing levels of safety by keeping rain & snow off the stairs.

There is a roof over the existing stairs right now, so they are already covered. I can confirm after weather this week, that the roof is not adequate for keeping snow and ice off of the stairs.

But if it is already roofed it is already building area, and therefore, not an addition...

AREA, BUILDING. The area included within surrounding
exterior walls (or exterior walls and fire walls) exclusive of
vent shafts and courts. Areas of the building not provided
with surrounding walls shall be included in the building area
if such areas are included within the horizontal projection of
the roof or floor above.

Reactions: cda