• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Energy Code Section to be Removed From IRC 2012

Mule

Platinum Member
I was at a Texas ICC meeting this past Friday and one of the speakers made an interesting comment.

Remember all of the hollering and comotion about the firemen coming to the code hearings and passing the fire sprinklers in residential (Have you already forgotten????)

Anyway you know how everone was complaining that the only reason they were there was to pass the fire stuff...........well the ff got together and decided that they would stay long enough to do something other than fire code stuff.

Coming up in the 2012 Code hearings is a change to the 2012 IRC to delete the energy section of the code out of the IRC. If there is not enough to change this at the code hearings well guess what???? The energy section of the 2012 IRC will no longer exist!

Food for thought about what can be accomplished in numbers!

so many communities are going to 30% plus better than the minimums anyway.. so why have a minimum? With all the energy modeling (yes, even with IRC structures)... LEED for homes, etc., why bother trying to enforce it? (Not saying all this energy magic is going to work the way "THEY" say it's going to)... just sayin'

Mule:

That's good news, can you tell us what else is going on? Is it over? Are you saying that it will be out unless a group protests at the final hearings?

Anyway you know how everone was complaining that the only reason they were there was to pass the fire stuff...........well the ff got together and decided that they would stay long enough to do something other than fire code stuff.
Why did the firefighters do it, are they concerned about the toxic foams being used for energy efficiency? I thought the Dallas hearings were for May 21st to May 23rd ?

Tell us more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are they proposing to delete it out of the 2012 IRC and refer to the 2012 IECC?

docgj

I agree but if the 2012 IRC doesn't reference the 2012 IECC we can't use it.

docgj

You're right, but I was ASSuming that a jurisdiction that adopts both the IECC and the IRC would enforce both, requiring Residences to comply with the IECC. Maybe that's not always the case, however.

Any jurisdiction taking the new Federal monies will probably be required to adopt a whole lot of codes they might not otherwise adopt.

conarb said:
Mule:Are you saying that it will be out unless a group protests at the final hearings?

/
Yes from what I understand.

conarb said:
Mule:Why did the firefighters do it, are they concerned about the toxic foams being used for energy efficiency?

The speaker really didn't get into the reason. He was just going over all of the "major" code changes submitted.

This will be at the final hearings on Oct 28 – Nov 1, 2010 Charlotte Convention Center Charlotte, NC.

I will try to get some more information on it.

Mule:

What's going on now in Dallas, the hearings are scheduled from May 21st to May 23rd? Are these committee meetings preparatory for the hearings in two weeks? In lookiing at the ICC site I notice that the entire agenda is IBC, are there IRC hearings going on separately?

conarb, here's some info.

And yes the IRC energy code will refer to the IECC

Modified Group A: May 14 - 23, 2010

IBC (Fire Safety, General, Means of Egress, Structural

IEBC

IFC

IFGC

IMC

IPC

IRC (Building, Mechanical, Plumbing)

IWUIC

Modified Group B: October 28 - Nov 1, 2010

Administrative

IECC

IPMC

IRC (Energy)

IZC

Also on the removal of the energy section of the IRC.

That was code change RE1 –09/10 and RE2 –09/10

Which passed "As Submitted"

Code Development Results

Dallas Information

Dallas Hearing Schedule

Code Changes to be Heard in Dallas

Last edited by a moderator:
Which link and what do you not see? Maybe I can post whatever info you need.

Mule:

I plugged RE1 into the search function on this link , the first link provided by you. Yes, any more information wold be appreciated. The way I see it this, if true, would make the energy code optional, an AHJ could adopt the IRC without the energy code, or adopt the IECC if they wished an energy code

conarb,

I tried to post a lot of information in one post however the software determined I needed to shorten the message by 10,000 words............

Exactly which one of the links to information do you want and I'll email you the information directly.

ie....

RE1 –09/10

RE2 -09/10

Code Development Results

Dallas Information

Dallas Hearing Schedule

Code Changes to be Heard in Dallas

From what I understand this was proposed at Baltimore and the fire guys voted to approve it. PS, I don't know how all of this works, but anyway the speaker said it was put out there in Baltimore, the fire guys voted on it and the only way to change it would be at the final hearings from the floor.

Sorry I don't know anymore information than that. Other than the links....