1. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Engineer stamp I-Joist floor design

Discussion in 'Residential Structural Codes' started by Buelligan, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Mark K

Mark K Platinum Member

You assume that an engineer stamped off on the span table. Do you have a span table that was stamped and signed by an engineer licensed in the state where the project is located?

What is important is that somebody needs to look not just at whether the member has the proper strength but also at the load transfer into and out of the joist as well as the appropriateness of the layout of the structural system.

I suspect that much of the pushback from what I am saying comes from individuals who are not trained as engineers and thus lack an awareness of the bigger picture.

2. Pcinspector1

Pcinspector1 Platinum Member

Here's what happen in our area:
    Back in the old days we switched to TrusJoist, a Weyerhaeuser Company. They took our floor plans, did the FJ lay-outs, stamped them and we ran down to the permit office and got our building permits.

The lumberyard we used stocked the joist and components with the lengths we needed. The manufacture starting coming out with more products, like studs, LVL, Parallams, Timberstrand. Microlams, rim board, stair treads and so on, all great products. We had to educate ourselves on the use of these products and GO TO CLASS! Now the yards just send it out like 2X lumber, and there is supporting data and span charts provided by the manufactures. So I think we have taken the manufactures engineers out of the floor design business. Do we still look at these items as engineered products, like trusses?

Some of your states require One and Two Family plans to be stamped, there's the issue, IMO?