• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Enhanced Vapor Recovery Veeder-Root in setback and 9.4' from a residence

Mike82356

Hello all,

I live next to a very old gas station here in California (Alameda County) and eventually realized that the big white thing outside my living room windows is an EVR for the 30,000 gallon UST (Underground Storage Tanks).
Installation was approved years ago by Planning and City Council on consent calendars with no input from the nearby property owners. Veeder Root will not reply or offer any comment on whether the installation pictured below meets their recommendations, and they referred me to the Planning Dept. Planning is not helpful and tells me to contact BAAQMD, and BAAQMD refers me to Planning. It's a mess of confused politicians and bureaucrats who don't want to take any responsibility.
The EVR is 9.4' from my house and 41" from the property line. If I'm interpreting the code correctly, the EVR should be at least 20' from lot line and farther if there is no barrier to protect fire fighters. The station owner piles cardboard and used tires under the EVR and the fire chief replied that the owner has to store his tires someplace- it's really that professional here!

Thanks,
Mike

1696045400746.png

1696045438882.png

I am not convinced that the table applies to an EVR. There is a hazard that is addressed in the NEC.