• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

epoxy flooring for shop or garage?

ameliasolis

Hi All,

I'm on the cusp of buying a house and for the first time in my life, I'll have a garage (exciting!). Since the garage is 2.5 cars, I'm going set up a workshop in there.

Right now, the floor is painted cement and the current owner has been using the garage to restore vintage MGs.

The cement is in OK shape but will need repainting at the very least. I like the look/idea of epoxy

but have heard mixed review regarding slickness when wet.

Interested in anyone with experience with epoxy floors or alternative flooring solutions.

Hi All,

I'm on the cusp of buying a house and for the first time in my life, I'll have a garage (exciting!). Since the garage is 2.5 cars, I'm going set up a workshop in there.

Right now, the floor is painted cement and the current owner has been using the garage to restore vintage MGs.

The cement is in OK shape but will need repainting at the very least. I like the look/idea of epoxy

Interested in anyone with experience with epoxy floors or alternative flooring solutions. floor preparation tampa
thanks for any help

my garage floor has a clear coat that was installed by the previous owner. I don’t think its epoxy. It is slippery when wet, we have to be careful walking on it when the car brings in rain.

You can easily mix some sand in with whatever type of coating you decide to use. It will provide a nonslip surface without being too rough.

Last edited:

Used to install epoxy floors - butcher areas, etc. Grit (usually coloured) added to the mix will create a slip-resistant surface.

I've seen epoxy floor in many garages.
I concur with Mark about looking into non-slip. Please be aware that slippery epoxy is also "squeaky" when you turn your vehicle on it.