• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Equipment Bollard in a Residential Garage

I know this thread is old and dead, but it was a return when i was looking for a IRC reference. I design a lot of guardrails... 12kips at 36 inches sounds outlandish. Where is that from?

AASHTO '89 is 10k at about 22" (they have details), with 5k in non-primary barirer directions (longitudinal/inward/etc). IBC goes directly to ASCE7 which is 6k at 18" minimum, but acting in any horizontal direction, and specifically precludes busses and "trucks" (meaning actual trucks like SU-30, not that humvee). Those values are for traffic collision, and are mainly to guide traffic back onto a road. The 6k is in line with testing of guardrail systems, which shows around 5.9k for a light duty vehicle at ±20° at a low speed threshhold collision.

I would presume an "approved barrier" per the IRC would be something like a traffic railing rather than an intended impact mechanism, like a loading dock. In that case, i would anticipate an official would accept my design per IBC, which is ASCE7. Conversly, something like a vehicle barrier on a loading dock is designed for a 100k impact force as semi-trailers intentionally ram it downhill. The semi could go through the bollards and right on through the rest of the house. I design industrial barriers for anything between 6k and 10k, at the client's request. I design push walls for front loaders for anything between 30k and 130k. A front loader could also go right through a house. None of those higher loads would make sense to me from a design perspective for the IRCs intent. I'd say use 6k @ 18" or a little higher if you want.

"Very" lengthy thread driven by a contractor seeking to save pennies.

Vehicles include trucks and jacked up SUV's. this is not a one size suits all issue.
As usual it depends on what you are protecting, vehicles or objects?

"Very" lengthy thread driven by a contractor seeking to save pennies.

Vehicles include trucks and jacked up SUV's. this is not a one size suits all issue.
As usual it depends on what you are protecting, vehicles or objects?
And from what action of the vehicle? Anything I'd call a truck (AASHTO SU commercial vehicle) is going to push with multiple kips of force if you take your foot off the clutch. 6k is a "soft stop" barrier of someone intentionally letting their 5k passanger truck/ car bump at about 5mph, or being in neutral around 10 mph. The barirers in IRC are to keep the stupid off of something, not collision design. When designing residence, I provide collision resistance at any columns/etc of 30k, which is monolithick concrete extending down with vertical bars, horizontals at 19" above floor and lateral restraint. See https://www.structuremag.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/C-StructuralPractices-Iqbal-Oct081.pdf

And from what action of the vehicle? Anything I'd call a truck (AASHTO SU commercial vehicle) is going to push with multiple kips of force if you take your foot off the clutch. 6k is a "soft stop" barrier of someone intentionally letting their 5k passanger truck/ car bump at about 5mph, or being in neutral around 10 mph. The barirers in IRC are to keep the stupid off of something, not collision design. When designing residence, I provide collision resistance at any columns/etc of 30k, which is monolithick concrete extending down with vertical bars, horizontals at 19" above floor and lateral restraint. See https://www.structuremag.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/C-StructuralPractices-Iqbal-Oct081.pdf

excellent practice, thank you.

It would have never occurred to me that a residential bollard would be engineered.

Right you are...I am just an inspector.

"not just", as such, though you are expected to have knowledge of many things, you deal with moving targets every day. Yours is a necessary/critical (often unappreciated) element of the construction process. Keep the faith, love your shades.