• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Equipment Building with only one Opening

Mech

2021 IBC / IFC

Proposed building in Colorado for curing concrete pavers.

The building is solely to cure the pavers. No human intervention is required until maintenance is required. Hot air is being pumped into the building, so I am not sure if anyone could tolerate being inside until the process is stopped and the building cools.

There is only one access point into the building; it is the railway that the automated cart uses to transport product.

Can the building be considered part of the equipment so that sprinklers are not required and egress doors are not required?

How big is the building? Sliding doors for the cart? I would think you would want at least one emergency exit on each end.

This building sounds like a curing chamber used for curing blocks and I guess other concrete masonry products. Having toured a couple, fire seems like the very last hazzard.

Iirc, the ones I saw did not have "person doors", just the openings for the block wagons or carts. It was in 1980s, so not positive, but basically one big hot steamy room. A sawmill near me has a lumber kiln, also no person door, just the insulated roll up. Seems similar, except wood on big carts were manually pushed in and out. Block wagons were automated.