• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

brandall

I am working in an industrial setting, and a piece of equipment requires an enclosure as a safety precaution to protect from possible chemical release. This is a normally unoccupied building which requires special permissions (from the operators on site) to even enter. It is literally a metal box with a negative pressure scrubber system to address any chemical releases. The client insists that this structure is exempt from IBC requirements, but I cannot put my hands on a definative answer. Does anyone have experience with this type of structure?

IMPO
The Installation of the Equipment and the enclosure structure of the equipment, needs permitting.

The client insists that this structure is exempt from IBC requirements,
Exempt from what?

There are exemptions throughout the code or are permissible by the BO if the equipment is of a special nature that would require deviation. For example,

503.1.1 Special Industrial Occupancies

Buildings and structures designed to house special industrial processes that require large areas and unusual building heights to accommodate craneways or special machinery and equipment, including, among others, rolling mills; structural metal fabrication shops and foundries; or the production and distribution of electric, gas or steam power, shall be exempt from the building height, number of stories and building area limitations specified in Sections 504 and 506.

I'm going to speculate that this is most likely a means of egress issue... but without some additional information, can't really provide a specific answer.

If people go in it it is not an enclosure.

2015 IBC BUILDING. Any structure used or intended for supporting or sheltering any use or occupancy.

I am working in an industrial setting, and a piece of equipment requires an enclosure as a safety precaution to protect from possible chemical release. This is a normally unoccupied building which requires special permissions (from the operators on site) to even enter. It is literally a metal box with a negative pressure scrubber system to address any chemical releases. The client insists that this structure is exempt from IBC requirements, but I cannot put my hands on a definative answer. Does anyone have experience with this type of structure?
I don't care how they get in...How do they get out? IBC Ch. 10.....No different than any other mechanical room IMO that is normally unoccupied....