• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Equipment Pit Access

glzath

IBC 2009 Basis
F-1 Use

We have a 30" deep pit that houses a large piece of testing equipment that is accessed by an OSHA compliant stair ... rails on both sides at handrail height, no guards, no extensions. Access is for maintenance, only. The AHJ is stating a requirement for handrail extensions.

Our response will be that we are treating the area similar to an Equipment Platform, which is unoccupied, and access will meet OSHA standards. Additionally, the extensions pose a safety issue creating a snag point for tool belts or carried maintenance items.

My question, is there a pit access requirement/exception similar to the equipment platform, and its allowable access, that can be cited?

Thanks

What code is the AHJ stating?

IBC 2012, section
1009.1 General. required in occupied portions of a building.

1103.2.8 Limited access spaces. Nonoccupiable spaces accessed only by ladders, catwalks, crawl spaces are not required to be accessible.

1103.2.9 Equipment spaces. used by personnel for maintenance, repair or monitoring of equipment are not required to be accessible. includes pits.

Curious what code section is being used?

1012.6 from the Ohio Building Code (IBC 2009 basis w/ amendments)

1009.1 would have been perfect, but it's not in the IBC 2009 nor the Ohio amendments.

I think I'll add in the 1103.2.9 verbiage to reinforce the maintenance only aspect and the extensions as more of an accessibility aspect (which is brought up in the official commentary).

Thanks!

glzath,

That 1103.2.9 section has more verbiage, I'd read the entire section, I only posted a smidgen.

Is the op question something different than chapter 11??

""""rails on both sides at handrail height, no guards, no extensions. Access is for maintenance, only. The AHJ is stating a requirement for handrail extensions.""""

What would happen if you threaten your building official by replacing the OSHA compliant stair with an OSHA compliant ladder?