• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Equipotential bonding of perimeter surfaces under deck

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
A on ground pool will be on the ground and will have a wood deck completely around it. deck is 4' high so no one should be under the deck by the pool. Does the pool still need need equipotential bonding in the ground under deck?

Yes. The perimeter surface is still required to have a #8 ran around the pool in accordance with 680.26(B)(2)(b)

In a perfect world …. But as you know we are not ….. so many of the people have exceptions.
And when they remove the deck?
It's required, you enforce the code as written. No gray area here.
Unless, of course, your personal opinions grant you the authority to not do your job.

not do your job
That's the relevant part of your reply. There's not that many reasons why inspectors don't do the job. They either don't know the code or can't be bothered with enforcing the code. A conscious decision to negate electrical code based on "personal opinions" is a thought process that's above their capacity. In other words, they are idiots.

90.4 does say the AHJ can waive specific requirements...
There's more to that story:
90.4 Enforcement.
By special permission, the authority having jurisdiction may waive specific requirements in this Code or permit alternative methods where it is assured that equivalent objectives can be achieved by establishing and maintaining effective saftey.

Isn't this for stray voltage? I think it would be hard to get your hand in the pool while you are crawling under the deck....If a wall can delineate it....Maybe a horizontal barrier could too.....But we wouldn't want our inspectors to think now would we....

The requirement for bonding perimeter surfaces applies to paved and unpaved surfaces, such as a lawn surrounding a permanently installed aboveground swimming pool. Where the paved portion of the perimeter surface extends less than 3 feet horizontally from the inside walls of the pool, the perimeter bonding grid must be continued under the adjacent unpaved perimeter surface. If walls or other physical barriers prevent the perimeter from extending 3 feet beyond the inside walls of the pool, the bonding grid is required only to extend under the available perimeter area.

Isn't this for stray voltage?
Equipotential means that everything is at the same voltage. Electrons can't become excited unless there is a difference of potential from one conductive material to another..

Say for example a 120 volt pool light malfunctions and the water is energized. Along comes fatboy. He sticks a swollen toe in to test the temperature and the perimeter surface has not been bonded to the equipotential bonding grid. Well then the water level goes up a bunch when he falls in .. and I'm presuming the worst here.

Now had the perimeter been bonded to the water fatboy would have lived to eat another bag of Cheetos. The pool boy?.. he would be the canary in the coal mine as he stands four feet away and plunges an aluminum pole into the water.

Last edited:
90.4 does say the AHJ can waive specific requirements...
But not in an obvious case like this without assurance of equivalent protection. This section is to allow for newer, alternative means and methods, not just something the AHJ can use to not enforce a code because they don't like it.

There's more to that story:
90.4 Enforcement.
By special permission, the authority having jurisdiction may waive specific requirements in this Code or permit alternative methods where it is assured that equivalent objectives can be achieved by establishing and maintaining effective saftey.

But not in an obvious case like this without assurance of equivalent protection. This section is to allow for newer, alternative means and methods, not just something the AHJ can use to not enforce a code because they don't like it.

Agreed. I forgot to include /sarcasm

Equipotential means that everything is at the same voltage. Electrons can't become excited unless there is a difference of potential from one conductive material to another..

Say for example a 120 volt pool light malfunctions and the water is energized. Along comes fatboy. He sticks a swollen toe in to test the temperature and the perimeter surface has not been bonded to the equipotential bonding grid. Well then the water level goes up a bunch when he falls in .. and I'm presuming the worst here.

Now had the perimeter been bonded to the water fatboy would have lived to eat another bag of Cheetos. The pool boy?.. he would be the canary in the coal mine as he stands four feet away and plunges an aluminum pole into the water.
There is only about 2' of head room under the deck. I don't think fatboy could fit there or fall into the pool from under the deck.

Why does the NEC hate tall people?...So it is OK for a 6' guy to reach over a 5' wall and touch the pool water but not FB crawling under a deck?

2) Perimeter Surfaces.
The perimeter surface to be bonded shall be considered to extend for 1 m (3 ft) horizontally beyond the inside walls of the pool and shall include unpaved surfaces and other types of paving. Perimeter surfaces separated from the pool by a permanent wall or building 1.5 m (5 ft) in height or more shall require equipotential bonding only on the pool side of the permanent wall or building.

And don't forget to bond all of the nails, screws, and joist hangers within 5'....

(7) Fixed Metal Parts.
All fixed metal parts shall be bonded including, but not limited to, metal-sheathed cables and raceways, metal piping, metal awnings, metal fences, and metal door and window frames.

And don't forget to bond all of the nails, screws, and joist hangers within 5'....
680.26(C)(5)
Metal Fittings. All metal fittings within or attached to the pool structure shall be bonded. Isolated parts that are not over 4 in. in any dimension and do not penetrate into the pool structure more than 1 in. shall not require bonding. Metallic pool cover anchors intended for insertion in a concrete or masonry deck surface, 1 in. or less in any dimension and 2 in. or less in length, and metallic pool cover anchors intended for insertion in a wood or compo- site deck surface, 2 in. or less in any flange dimension and 2 in. or less in length, shall not require bonding.

680.26(B)(7) Fixed Metal Parts. All fixed metal parts shall be bonded including, but not limited to, metal-sheathed cables and raceways, metal piping, metal awnings, metal fences, and metal door and window frames.

Exception No. 1: Those separated from the pool by a permanent barrier that prevents contact by a person shall not be required to be bonded.

Exception No. 2: Those greater than 5 ft horizontally from the inside walls of the pool shall not be required to be bonded.

Exception No. 3: Those greater than 12 ft measured vertically above the maximum water level of the pool, or as measured vertically above any observation stands, towers, or platforms, or any diving structures, shall not be required to be bonded.

I don't see nails...where's the nails? Show me the nails. :)

They have a deck built around the on ground pool. They might have metal brackets on the deck guard which might be less then 5' from the pool water.

I liked it better when the code had sections for "above ground" pools. Always wanted to see how they fly above the ground.