• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ERV system

yvette

Hi, I'm trying to dig through codes to see if ERV systems are actually REQUIRED any where or just allowed. Thanks -

Maybe. I have been trying to understand the tables and am not quite there yet. 2018 IECC 403.7.4 seems to be the section that mandates them, with the thresholds listed in tC403.7.4(1) & (2).

Hi, I'm trying to dig through codes to see if ERV systems are actually REQUIRED any where or just allowed. Thanks -
Depends on the occupancy classification and the adopted code, including State ammendments.

In the 2018 Oregon Residential Code, a HRV is required where taking Table N1101.1(2) Additional Measure #8 - minimum sensible heat recovery efficiency of not less than 66 percent.

For commercial, see the 2019 Oregon Commercial Energy Code, Section 6.5.6 - Energy Recovery. Requirements are dependent upon occupancy/use.

Just curious, what is a stretch code community?
Stretch codes are when a local AHJ adopts a code beyond the typical state code. Several states have created their own base energy code, and then a stronger version that they leave up to the local AHJ to adopt. Some states/localities use standards such BuiltGreen or LEED in-place of a model energy code.

They are also sometimes called Reach Codes.

Thanks. I might call them over-reach codes, but now I get the stretch part.

There are 351 communities in Mass. 50 have not opted into the stretch code, the pot of state money is getting smaller by the year