• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

EV Car Battery Storage

admiralArchArch

We are designing a new car dealership and one of the requirements from the franchise is a "EV Battery Storage Room". There is not much info on battery storage, other than for building use. Any idea how to classify this area as a hazard and what kind of ratings the room should have? Capacities are probably anywhere from 60 to 90 kWh.

It seemed like there were quite a few proposals for the 2024 IBC regarding EV battery storage. You might go poke around in the monographs, see what they were, and if they passed.

Shirley the Fire Department is going to weigh in. When batteries ignite they are fierce. All you can do is stand back and watch.

We are designing a new car dealership
Are you part of the design team, or the customer?

What is the Occupancy type? Not sure? Check out IBC Chapter 3 (or local version of), specifically Section 307. Table 307.1 has " maximum allowable quantity per control area." So you'll need to know the chemical make-up of the battery to determine what class of material it is, then the volume of liquid in each battery, then how many could be stored there. I suspect that you need to design a control area and there will be a limit to how much you can store.

There may be useful info in Section 406, 413, 414, 415, and also pay attention to tables 414.2.5(1), 414.2.5(2), 414.5.1, and 415.6.2, depending on what you learn about the batteries.

I think Joe B is on the right track. This doesn't sound like ESS, but rather storage of batteries. Unless the batteries are connected to something, I wouldn't expect thermal runaway to be a significant concern. I've heard rumors that the 2024 IBC and IFC will have language to deal with lithium ion batteries, but I haven't seen anything formal yet. Table 307.1 is going to be a challenge because the batteries don't fit neatly into any of that categories.