• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Evaluation of "Alternative Equipotential Bonding Means" - Final Report

Bryan Holland

Silver Member
To: NEC CMP-17 MembersFrom: Donny Cook, NEC CMP-17 Chair

At the request of past Chair, Don Jhonson, the Fire Protection Research Foundation initiated a research project related to the NEC bonding requirements for perimeter surfaces of swimming pools. The final report for that project was accepted on Friday. Realizing the closing date for proposals for the 2014 NEC is Friday, November 4, 2011, the Foundation wanted to provide access to the report as soon as possible. The report is attached.

As the new chair, I look forward to working with each of you during the 2014 NEC cycle. I will likely communicate with many of you prior to January and for those I am not able to reach before then, I will see you in Hilton Head.

Donny Cook
Download the report here:

http://apps.cityofnorthport.com/ftpinfo/

Bryan,

Can you please provide the Reader's Digest version, ...in

your own words?....Thanks! :cool:

& & & &

Sure. In summary, blah blah blah, a bunch of tests & experiments were conducted, blah blah blah, the results are rather inconclusive, blah blah blah, equipotential bonding in general sort-of works, & sort-of doesn't work, blah blah, blah, even more tests & experiments need to be conducted, blah blah blah, no definitive recommendations ca be made, blah blah, blah...

Bryan Holland said:
Sure. In summary, blah blah blah, a bunch of tests & experiments were conducted, blah blah blah, the results are rather inconclusive, blah blah blah, equipotential bonding in general sort-of works, & sort-of doesn't work, blah blah, blah, even more tests & experiments need to be conducted, blah blah blah, no definitive recommendations ca be made, blah blah, blah...
LOL, wish you posted this before I wasted a ½hr reading all that inconclusive non-sense. Valiant effort to no avail.

It still appears as though they (testing group) is leading towards increased equipotential bonding around pools. The biggest issue is the conclusive/definitive resistance values for the human body which is impractical/unsafe to obtain accurately. I agree the more conservative number of 500 Ohms should be used. I wish there were more detailed code reports available post accidents.