• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Event Space Occupancy

Nova2023

I have a 4,000 sq ft event space. It is rented out for both private and public events including performances, private parties, comedy shows, gift shows, art galleries and paint parties. No fixed seating. We have max capacity of 299. There is a kitchenette with sink, fridge and microwave. The client supplies their own catering. The venue makes no money from food or alcohol sales.
The space was a church and had a A-3 occupancy with 299 max. The city called us a banquet hall A-2 and is requiring sprinklers.
The city has agreed to meet with us to see how we could keep the A-3 occupancy. I understand the fire life safety risk of a nightclub. I do not understand why a bowling alley, exhibition hall or dance hall is A-3 when they likely have food/alcohol. I always drink when I bowl!
Can the forum advise me on what events I can book that are A-3? Or if we can use dance hall or exhibition hall?
I’ve looked in other counties here and see wedding venues are split between A-2 and A-3.
Appreciate your thoughts…

2021 IBC

303.3 Assembly Group A-2

Group A-2 occupancy includes assembly uses intended for food and/or drink consumption...

303.4 Assembly Group A-3

Group A-3 occupancy includes assembly uses intended for worship, recreation or amusement and other assembly uses not classified elsewhere in Group A...

I do not understand why a bowling alley, exhibition hall or dance hall is A-3 when they likely have food/alcohol. I always drink when I bowl!
I would suppose that the venues you mention have A2 and A3 uses. For example: A bowling alley typically has a bar/dining area which is the A2, the bowling alley has the lanes and seats, which is the A3. Just because the business does not prohibit you from carrying your beer to the alley area doesn't mean that is the area intended for drinking.

I would suppose that the venues you mention have A2 and A3 uses. For example: A bowling alley typically has a bar/dining area which is the A2, the bowling alley has the lanes and seats, which is the A3. Just because the business does not prohibit you from carrying your beer to the alley area doesn't mean that is the area intended for drinking.
A lot fewer burner bodies have been found in bowling allies, exhibition halls, and dance halls (without food and drink) than in night clubs, banquet halls, and rock concert venues. The Station, Beverly Hills Supper Club, the Coconut Grove, and more. It's that simple. (Do many people get sloshed while bowling, compared to attending a banquet or wedding?)

Does anyone bowl sober?
Well, since my bowling was limited to Scout outings as an adult leader, yes, sober.

Bowling alleys seem much safer than night clubs, fire wise anyways. Just don't find many large loss of civilian lives from fires in bowling alleys.