• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exempt from accessibility if less than six employees and occupant load

I went to a seminar a few months ago to discover what's new in the "harmonized" ADA guidelines.

If I remember correctly, I heard the Federal guru say that a small business with less than six employees and calculated occupant load is exempt from the ADA standards.

I've just completed a word search through these guidelines with words "five, six, employees" and I can't find anything to support this.

He did not refer to a calculated occupant load but I would say that this would need to be a criteria. Otherwise, everyone would claim to have only five employees while applying for a building permit.

Is there anyone else aware of this exemption limit?

Thanks!

I think that is in the employment, not access, portions of the act. So you won't find it in the access standards

ADA and accessibility in the IBC are two separate things. I don't believe you will see anything like that in either IBC Chapter 11 or ICC ANSI A 117.

mark handler said:
I think that is in the employment, not access, portions of the act. So you won't find it in the access standards
Right Title I v Title III.