• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Existing Building - Re-Roof

Papio Bldg Dept

Platinum Member
Apartment Complex:

Dilapidated and neglected two-and-a-half story buildings with upper story coverd by a shake shingle faux mansard. 12 inch parapet to a flat EPDM roof system. Mechanical Equipment on roof appears to be 10' from roof edge.

First question: Does the faux mansard require ice protection, or can I call it an exterior curtain wall assembly?

Second question: How would you permit (e.g. minimum submittal requirements, etc.) for a re-roof of a faux mansard?

Thanks in advance.

+ + +

How does the water exit the roof now?........If there are components

in-place to accomodate the removal of water, then I would call it an

exterior curtain wall assembly......No ice protection required,

because there is no back up of any water that would restrict water

flow from the existing EPDM roof.

+ + +

Just returned from a preliminary inspection.

As of right now, the many over-lays appear to have covered up any existing roof drains (if there were ever any in the first place), and the over-flows are now being used as the roof drain (in the places that roof and membrane system is not too warped to drain).

Leaders run down through the faux-mansard and are fastened to the exterior of the building.

$ $ $

Papio,

I still vote "curtain wall".......Will the "warped areas" be addressed to

ensure removal of the water?

$ $ $

That was how I saw it too. They say they already have the ice protection purchased and plan to install it, because they didn't think we would consider it an exterior wall, as our neighboring jurisdictions did not.

Yes, they removing all of the roof system, including the decking, to which I suggested they may wish to add an actual roof drain, if it has not just been covered up by the cheap fixes.

+ + +

If I had any input, I would vote for the overflows and scuppers

on the roofing system, rather than the roof drains.......Too much

potential for leaks.

+ + +

north star said:
+ + +If I had any input, I would vote for the overflows and scuppers

on the roofing system, rather than the roof drains.......Too much

potential for leaks.

+ + +
I'll agree with north star, especially with parapet walls. Overflows and scuppers definitely.

Sue